Stuck in traffic

By WhataStrangeTripThisIs - 18/09/2020 05:25

Today, I'm still learning how to drive stick. I went to pick up my son from school and stalled out during high traffic. The crossing guard had to rescue me by getting in my car and pull it out of the flow of traffic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 219
You deserved it 615

WhataStrangeTripThisIs tells us more.

OP here! I got the car as a Christmas present from my fiance. My previous car was totaled by an ex (intentionally, another FML) and I'm a poor single mom, so I didn't have much choice except to learn how to drive it asap or walk. I was doing fairly well, but was in a line of cars on a hill, with the car behind me a few inches off my bumper. The First and Reverse are right next to each other, and in a panic, I couldn't figure out if I was in Reverse. On a hill you have to really hit the gas or you roll back. I couldn't tell which gear I was in, so the choice was not hit the gas hard enough and roll into the car behind me, or maybe accidentally in R and floor it into the car behind me. Had a blank moment of panic. The crossing guard was a sweetheart and pulled my car out for me so I could take a few breaths. Then cheered me on when I recovered and peeled out! P.S. This does not make me just another stupid American.

Top comments

The worst is when you get stressed out and start to panic then you really can’t do it!

At first, it's hard to give it enough gas when you re-engage the clutch.

Comments

Now we know you don't come through in the clutch!

I feel your pain. I was learning a stick and driving behind a garbage truck. Tried to pass him and the could not get it in gear. Painful.

You push the clutch pedal and move the gearstick. How hard could it be?

pretty sure there is timing to learn as to when you shift gears. and missing it can cause it to stall. I drive auto to avoid such nonsense to simply get from one point to another.

At first, it's hard to give it enough gas when you re-engage the clutch.

The worst is when you get stressed out and start to panic then you really can’t do it!

Mooglefox 23
coius 23

Lots of used cars out there with sticks. Ive had them. Not everyone can afford new cars. My newest car is a 2009 Toyota Camry hail damaged. Its my first car with auto transmission. All my other cars (including first car) was a stick. I cant afford, nor get a loan (medical bills create shit credit) a new car. The trick is to give it enough gas to bring engine to higher rpm before letting the clutch out. But you don’t just drop the clutch. You gotta make sure the rpm doesn’t drop too much or it will slug the engine and stall.

I had that happen to me, I know its stressful. Take your time and practice. You'll be a pro :)

heartbreaker 12

I learned to drive on a stick shift! I remember stalling my car while turning left. I was just enough in the way to block the traffic. Panicked, I tried over and over to start again. Finally my father who was sitting in the passenger side calmly suggested that I switch the car from 3rd gear back into 1rst.

thatkorean 5

You shouldn’t add more stress while learning. It should be in a stress free environment until you get more comfortable with it. Also I suggest going to a hill somewhere with no traffic (parking lot) and learning how to stop and go, so while in traffic you don’t roll back into someone. Hills were the hardest part for me and my older siblings.

OP here! I got the car as a Christmas present from my fiance. My previous car was totaled by an ex (intentionally, another FML) and I'm a poor single mom, so I didn't have much choice except to learn how to drive it asap or walk. I was doing fairly well, but was in a line of cars on a hill, with the car behind me a few inches off my bumper. The First and Reverse are right next to each other, and in a panic, I couldn't figure out if I was in Reverse. On a hill you have to really hit the gas or you roll back. I couldn't tell which gear I was in, so the choice was not hit the gas hard enough and roll into the car behind me, or maybe accidentally in R and floor it into the car behind me. Had a blank moment of panic. The crossing guard was a sweetheart and pulled my car out for me so I could take a few breaths. Then cheered me on when I recovered and peeled out! P.S. This does not make me just another stupid American.

you just need practice at first you'll stall a lot and it's very embarrassing, once you get the hang of it it'll happen in the odd time. friendly advice find the sweet spot for your clutch because even going up hill you should never have to really really press on the gas when shifting into first. YouTube has a lot of helpful videos and enjoy driving stick!

It just takes practice. I started driving stick back in 2013, then went to college in a town full of hills less than a year later. It sucked at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. And honestly, while it’s not necessarily ideal, if you do roll back and hit someone, it’s deemed their fault, not yours.

heartbreaker 12

My solution to traffic on hills is to use the e-brake. I have my feet on the clutch....and I hold my e-brake just in case. When traffic clears enough to move; I engage the gas, release the clutch and carefully release the E-brake at the same time. Growing up in a city with hills has made this skill vital against not backing into other cars!

heartbreaker 12

...Also, seems kind of wierd that your fiance would "gift" you with a car he probably knew you could not drive.

mandy_anne34 3

Good on you for being brave enough to try something new under such circumstances! My anxiety would be through the roof! You did what you had to do in the moment and you learned from that experience, embarrassing as it may have been you were doing the best you could and I’m glad the crossing guard was so compassionate.