By Anonymous - 13/05/2017 02:00

Today, while on vacation, I got fired for not working a shift I wasn't scheduled for. Even after texting my boss a copy of my vacation approval letter, she still fired me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 030
You deserved it 335

Same thing different taste

Top comments

UOFreak07 8

Wrongful termination lawsuit...

Druu 53

Whether you have a case depends on what state you work in, and the respective employment laws of that state. (If you're not in the States, disregard this comment.) Regardless of the actual laws, you can take a gamble on whether your boss is aware of the laws. Threaten a lawsuit. The workplace environment doesn't sound ideal and you may not want to return, but maybe you can finagle a severance payment out of it.

Comments

Lobby_Bee 17
SeniM 0

Even if you live in an at will state, this is wrongful termination. At will employers still need a logical reason to fire someone, they can't just fire someone who is following the rules and has actual paperwork against their reason. A lot of employers have tricked people into thinking they can just do as they please but that isn't what At Will means. Get yourself a pro bono lawyer.

Everything I've read about working in an at will state says they can fire you for no reason or faulty reason. The only way you can fight it is if you get fired for discrimination (say they find out you're gay and fire you).

They don't have to have a reason to fire you but if they actually give you one, it can't be completely unreasonable.

You obviously are not a lawyer and know nothing about at will labor laws. At will does actually mean they can fire you for any reason they decide and they dont even have to give a reason.

That's pretty shitty of them If you're in the US then you might have a nice wrongful termination story to shit all over that boss with, if in Australia, unfair dismissal can shit all over a shit boss. I mean, why would anyone pull something shitty like that if they aren't prepared for and wanting the consequences of being a shit person?

My boss fired me yesterday for taking two weeks off. I'm enlisting in the army, so I had to go some places, and my granddad died.

reymon8823 24

Generally, in an at will state, they can fire you without having to give a reason. However, if they choose to give one, it has to be a legally valid one. As such, you probably have a case.