Coincidence?

By lessimportantthanatable - 15/11/2017 12:00 - United States - Northfield

Today, I learned that the new granite countertop in my parents' house cost $12,000. Coincidentally, this is also the amount of money I would have needed to go to the college of my dreams instead of the cheaper school I currently attend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 785
You deserved it 1 015

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lobby_Bee 17

Which school you went to doesn't define you, it's what you do that defines you.

exileonmainst 16

12000 dollars for a countertop?! Does it cure cancer?

Comments

I work for a college and this is the trend I'm seeing. When I reached high-school, I was expected to buy my own school supplies. My parents would buy me a couple of essentials and then I was own my own. College? I had to hold off for a year to save up some money and try my luck with scholarships. After one semester, I was broke again and had to get a second job. It took me 6 years instead of 4, but I worked my butt off and earned it myself.

So why can't you take out a loan for $12,000 and go to the school you want to attend? That's what I did, my parents paid $0 for my education.

It's not your parents responsibility to pay for you to go to college. They may help you out with some money. Unless your parents told you that $12k was for your college tuition then it's there money. And don't use that excuse of because you didn't have that money you couldn't go to your dream school. There is financial aid, grants and student loans that you can take out.

american616 3

So? My parents are wealthy. They didn't pay for my education and I didn't expect them to. My parents finished paying off their house and remodeled it. It is their money, not mine. I took out loans to go to a state school. If you want to go to a better college take out more loans or earn more money.

OP I don’t think most of the commenters understand that when you have student loans and debt, it haunts you for the rest of your life. That’s why doctors who end up with salaries of 100,000+ a year still end up in debt because of student loans, due to schools (at least American schools) costing an arm and a leg. That’s why parents offer aid now, because schooling is so extreme. Plus, I mean... You never asked to be born. You never asked for the road of responsibilities ahead of you. That was thrust upon you by your parents when they conceived you. Again, no one predicted the financial and market collapse either, that’s why when parents have the money they usually help their children out, because the economy is still trying to regain itself. Plus you know, their children are who they love, and they want to see them achieve greatness. Plus you’ll be taking care of them when they are older, not a granite countertop... Guess when they’ll need the money in the future, you can just tell them you don’t have it and waste it on something stupid. If they don’t think you’re important enough to help you out, even though you’re their child, don’t help them out even though they’re you’re parents. Trust me, I know from experience, I’ve paid off my parents debt and they still won’t lend me a dollar even if my life depended on it. Some people just won’t help you out no matter what you do for them.

If the parents said they would pay for OP’s college then decided not to, it’s definitely the parents’ fault. My whole life, I was told my dad would pay for my entire college. In my third semester, he decided to stop paying because he “couldn’t afford it” (but he could afford cross country motorcycle trips) and didn’t think that was something he needed to tell me. I found out when the school told me I had one week to pay my tuition or they’d kick me out.

maybe you didn't do your chores for the last 10 years

We paid for two kids' college and the third decided not to go and went to travel and view the world. When she came back years later after changing her mind she was told to pay her own way because she made her choice earlier - she agreed and worked her ass off! We helped out a lot but the work lessons were worth as much as her degree from college because she paid her own tuition. And BTW, our kitchen granite countertops were about $26K.

Rofl u can repay them by dumping them in a crappy nursing home then bring up the fact that because u went to a crappy school, you got a crappy job and this is what u can afford :) "Payback is a bitch"

Okay. But your parents aren't obligated to pay for your schooling.