By Professionally Curtious - 09/07/2017 18:30

Today, I was offered my dream job. When I gave my current employer my 2+ weeks notice so they'd have time to find a replacement, I was told to pack up and leave immediately. Now I'm out a month's pay because I gave notice instead of just leaving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 063
You deserved it 431

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sadly in a lot of companies this is the norm or at least relatively common. I watched my ex company walk several people out the door for giving notice. Then laughed when they got mad at me for giving 2 weeks notice because they weren't going to be able to replace me in 2 weeks and said I should have let them know earlier. Why would I?

I hear of this happening a lot now. People are getting so petty, I don't think it is even worth it to do the courtesy anymore, which is sad.

Comments

thehaystackerine 20

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

But, now you're already offered the job and can start immediately! Boss' fault for screwing himself over by firing you right off the bat.

I hear of this happening a lot now. People are getting so petty, I don't think it is even worth it to do the courtesy anymore, which is sad.

Sadly in a lot of companies this is the norm or at least relatively common. I watched my ex company walk several people out the door for giving notice. Then laughed when they got mad at me for giving 2 weeks notice because they weren't going to be able to replace me in 2 weeks and said I should have let them know earlier. Why would I?

dancegypsy 0

If you are going to a competitor or have the ability to compromise or steal data they will do so to protect themselves, even if you are quitting and not being fired. It is very painful to watch.

Always give exactly 2 weeks notice - never more, never less.

they did. They got fired immediately for it

That’s bullshit! They need to pay you pro rata for the work you’ve done, plus any vacation benefit you’ve accrued. Get an employment lawyer to write them a letter demanding what is rightfully yours.

Whispra 5

Is this even legal? I would think it's technically wrongful termination.

8313girl 28

Depends on if there in one of those fire at will states. Employers can get away with almost anything.

It's not a wrongful termination if the employee quits. It's more of not paying wages owed to an employee.

Whispra 5

Even though they'd still be legally employed until a certain date otherwise?

Unless you live in a thrid world country it is probably illegal.

Tell your former coworkers. Tell them that their company prefers you just quit immediately

The_candyman 13

That sucks in California if you put in your 2 week notice and they fire you they still have to pay you for the 2 weeks.

Not unless they're under a contract that says otherwise. They do still have to be paid for time already worked, but here in California (could be different elsewhere) the employer has a few days to get that done.