By Anonymous - 30/03/2011 23:53 - United States

Today, on my 21st birthday, a relative asked me if I was still engaged to the love of my life. The man I spent several years with, gave my virginity to, moved across the country for, who promised to marry me before my 21st, and who swore he was over his ex for good. No, but thanks for asking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 505
You deserved it 8 100

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

I'm sure your relative regretted asking you this and wished they had just asked the real question they wanted to pose in the first place: "Would you please pass the potato salad?" Single at 21? BFD! You've got about 14 good years to find a good man. If you want kids, you should get a bit panicky at around age 35 and then settle for any douchebag that can produce viable sperm.

wiggs5 0

thats sad :( but obviously wasn't meant to be! you'll find someone else! :) look at the bright side of things..

Comments

the skin would still heal over if you chopped off your arm off

bitheway 2

It probaly wasn't true love anyway anytime it's your first time on just about anything you don't have experience and won't recognize exactly what's happenin. Experience is the best teacher and dependin on the what and how much it can give you a whole different view on an aspect of life.

Mabster84 2

Okay, this really erks me... Why would you want to be married before your 21st birthday so badly? You're obviously unaware of the high divorce rate, especially for couples who have been together since their teenager years and marry young... It's not really a FYL, you'll find someone else and put your big girl panties on. You're not finished growing up kiddo. In a few years, you'll find that there's a significant difference in your personality, and that when you find someone later, you'll be ready for the challenges that a real relationship will need to withstand. Personal experience has taught me that. Scoff if you must, you'll learn.

except aids. Rather dramatic aren't we op??

sorry, you are (were) way too young to get involved at that level with ANYBODY!

FYL HOWEVER; I hate to sound new-fashioned but the trend now is to date a guy for several years in adult hood, live with them for a long time etc. , before marrying them. What was so important that you HAD to get married before 21? I'm sure there is no real reason besides the fact you just wanted to and/or wanted kids right away, without given consideration to the reality (if you had financially could etc); if he really was the guy you wanted to spend the rest of your life with, you've got the rest of your life to marry him! I'm probably the same-ish age as OP and the way my personality/priorities etc have changed ever few months for the last 5 years really makes me question how committing to someone for life can be done before the age of 24/25! This is just me, and my personal opinion. I've always planned to get married young but the reality of modern day has sunk in and I realise that it probably isn't a possibility now. BECAUSE above anything else I want to know I AM making the right choice which to me means knowing I love a guy through all the experiences and changes that I go through. Which means we are both come to a point where we are financially stable (and we can work financially together and apart) and to know I can live with and apart from them ; so on and so forth. ect ect... I don't doubt OP genuinely loved this guy and thought they would be together forever. I wish you luck for the future OP. Maybe take into account what people are saying on these comments; I'm sure there are trolls but i think there are some people who genuinely want to give you advice as well. :) Chin up, you've got lots of things to be happy about; firstly that you stopped making the biggest mistake of your life (marrying a jerk who didn't respect you!)

Several years? Wow, I guess there's some really chronic liars out there. Don't worry, at least you're not like me. Going on 26 and still single, never really had a date... being a nice guy means you don't get noticed, apparently.

Sadly it is true. Girls dont like "nice" guys, they need someone who constantly puts them on the ground, otherwise their girlish dreams go out of control and leave them stuck in the limbo space for eternity.

I completely disagree with this, being a nice guy who's doing pretty well for himself. U just gotta have the balls to approach the woman you want and the dignity to move on to the next one with your head held high if she doesn't feel the same way. And if you're having trouble getting noticed then find something that sets you apart (in a good way) and show it off. Stop complaining, start talking.

lulu1959 0

and the first clue that he was an a-hole was??

Funny thing I HAD same situation except in mine he knocked up a chick....life sucks at first but I found a wonderful man.you will too :) grief, take care of your self and knight in shinning armor will find you!