By drbckflps - 18/12/2014 00:48 - Australia - Mount Gravatt

Today, my mother-in-law asked for a copy of my son's death certificate so she could have her week-long island beach holiday classed as bereavement leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 918
You deserved it 2 975

drbckflps tells us more.

I haven't read all the comments yet but thank you for your condolences. This is indeed the grandmother of my son and no, she didn't take the holiday as a way of grieving - it was purely opportunistic. She wasn't even polite to us at the funeral: her words to me were, "In six months when I get back you'll have forgotten this whole thing ever happened." Very disappointing. Thank you all again. I'll reply again when I get a chance to read some more comments.

Top comments

That's horrible:( I'm sorry for your loss!

Everyone can grieve differently, but that just seems a bit heartless and opportunistic. I'm sorry for your loss OP, I can't imagine how that feels.

Comments

That's horrible:( I'm sorry for your loss!

I agree #1 using death as an excuse is horrible but a mother-in-law using it for a vacation is just sickening.

I REALLY hope you didn't give her one. I'm so sorry.

meli1195 31

it's even worse if OPs son is the bitch's grandson . wtf is wrong with people

OP, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Stay strong. You and your husband can get through this. When my brother died (before I was born) my mom and dad came closer together, and in most marriages where the first child dies, the couple usually splits. I'm the youngest and I've got another older brother. My mom, dad, brother, and I are a very normal and happy family. It's extremely tough. But you can pull through. Lean on each other, it's a really long and bumpy ride, but it gets better.

100% with #42. I reeeeeeally hope she hasn't acquired a copy. That is the lowest of low. She's clearly not thinking of anyone but herself. Hope her boss "accidentally" finds out her scheme. *Breathes* That said, my heart aches terribly for you and your loss. And I hope you're able to focus on the things that you need to...rather than your aweful MIL!

That monster-in-law sounds like a heartless bitch. I really hope you ended all communication with her forever when you slammed the phone down after her heinous request. I'm so sorry for your loss! Losing a child is the most horrible thing that can happen to a mum, my eyes are getting wet just thinking about it. I hope you have a net of people who can be with you, grief with you and help you through this, plus psychological help!

Not necessarily, could be op's second marriage.

xxreikoxx 31

Who cares which marriage it is, #61? Losing any loved one, especially one's own child, can still be very painful.

rocker_chick23 27

#61: Doesn't matter if it is OP's first, second, or millionth marriage, what the MIL asked was disgusting.

I agree! I hope you did not give it her and told her what a douche she is...

austincain117 16

Mother-in-law sounds like an ass. Sorry for your loss OP.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Mf2307 15

i really hope she never got the copy of it

Everyone can grieve differently, but that just seems a bit heartless and opportunistic. I'm sorry for your loss OP, I can't imagine how that feels.

True. We really don't know the context of the situation so it's hard to say. Everyone is dogging on the mother-in-law but when my friend lost her childhood best friend she took a beach trip..not to live it up but just to get away. Everyone grieves differently. The FML definitely comes off as though she heartlessly asked for it.. but we can't know for sure. For the sake of OP and OP's spouse, I'm hoping it wasn't heartless.

You're right, we don't know for sure... But I imagine if the mil had actually needed time to grieve, and had asked in an appropriate way, this FML wouldn't exist. Plus, the way it's worded definitely sounds like the mil already had her beach trip planned, and now just wants to take advantage of the opportunity to have it classed as bereavement rather than having to use her vacation days... However, since we don't know 100% I will only say that IF that is the case, that's a truly horrible thing to do. And to OP, truly sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine how heartbreaking that must be.

Monster in law then. Sorry for your loss OP

She sounds pretty horrible! Some people i just can't understand. I sure hope you didn't give her a copy I'm so sorry for your loss, OP!

I don't care. I hope you punched that bitch in her face. ******* freak. I'm sorry for your loss. :-(

Every now and then you need to go to guns... A punch is what the Dr. ordered

She shouldn't try to benefit from the situation... sorry for your loss, OP!

So sorry for your loss Op. She should be more sensitive.

maddieex 14

Sounds like a bitch. There's nothing worse than losing a child, and she should know that being a mother. I'm so sorry about your son, it must feel awful. Stay strong ?

Damn, I actually felt pain from reading this. I'm so sorry for you loss, OP! *virtual hug*