By _Tater_Tot_ - 03/04/2015 16:39 - United States - Anniston

Today, my mom let me know that I'll have to spend my entire tax return on replacing my car brakes. The reason I need new brakes is because almost every single time she uses the car, she floors the gas while the parking brake is still on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 397
You deserved it 2 696

_Tater_Tot_ tells us more.

_Tater_Tot_ 20

To answer some responses Im a girl and I don't put the parking brake on, my mom happens to somehow put it on whilst driving and she does not notice the light on the dashboard :/

Top comments

Mom needs to a) let her son keep his tax money that her son is entitled to, and b) mom needs to pay to have the breaks replaced herself . Good luck OP.

huh. with the brakes on you'd think she wouldn't have trouble stopping the habit. sorry, OP!

Comments

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ITS HER FAULT SHE SHOULD PAY FOR IT

sweetmb 1

Hate to be the one to tell you this but your parking brake is completely different from your driving brakes.

What has that got to do with anything? It still causes damage to the parking/hand/emergency brake to floor the gas while it's on. May not be connected to the other brakes (which others have said) but still needs to be replaced.

It has to do with the fact that if the brakes need to be replaced, it would not be because of the parking brake. They are two different systems that do similar things. Saying the parking brake caused the brakes to need replacing is like saying that your monitor has a pixel out, you should replace your video card. Some people know just enough terminology to think that sounds correct, without realizing they are actually are separate things.

I down voted myself as it was pointed out to me that in most modern cars, the e-brake is only a bypass system, where originally (and still on some newer vehicles) it was a fully independent braking system

And even if it is a separate system op didn't type out emergency brakes she just typed brakes assuming we would know what she meant

You didn't know. Being wrong is no reason to downvote, and you learned something :) @80

Parking brake is separate from your brakes. It's a cheap repair.

We're assuming here OP got a nice big tax return, they very well could've only gotten a small amount which could have to be used on a cheap repair.

Why is everybody using the word "break?" and I am pretty sure some of the newer model cars let you know if you have your ebrake on cause mine does

The post isn't specific enough for me to tell for sure. Is the mechanic telling you that you have to replace all pads and rotors/ drums and shoes? That would be very expensive, not to mention, would be way more than needed. My e-brake went out. When I was driving down the highway, it locked up my brakes and scared me half to death. The shoe on the e-brake and the cable had to be replaced. $135 for parts and labor total. I'd definately make sure to get a second opinion with the mechanic if it's way more than that!

OP hasn't seen the mechanic. OP's mom screwed up OP's car and now thinks that OP should pay for damages

Think that's her problem. Keep your tax money. She should be the one paying for it.

ironik69 31

It seems to me that you may be leaving something out. Do you still live with your parents? Did your parents pay for the car in question? If the answer to both is no, they hell yeah, make her pay for it. But from the way you worded this, that she let YOU know YOU would have to spend YOUR tax money... It sounds like you still live with them and let her use the car because of that. If that's the case, tough luck buttercup.

_Tater_Tot_ 20

I still live with my mom because I'm a minor in high school. It's my car because I went and got a job with the little spare time I have to buy it, register it, do maintenance to it, and all of the other fun expenses that come with owning a car

ironik69 31

Then yes, she should definitely pay for the repairs. And I completely get it! Just needed some clarification. Thank ya.

Infused_Pikachu 4

Pads and rotors are only like 100 dollars. Unless they're drums.