By Bogrbon - 03/06/2016 19:18 - United States - West Lafayette

Today, I went in for a root canal. After a heavy dose of anesthetic, my tooth still wasn't numb, which I only realized when they started drilling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 599
You deserved it 1 625

Bogrbon tells us more.

OP here. They did stop pretty quick, after it started hurting, before it got too bad. Anesthetic tolerance runs in the family (and no, I don't use any drugs). They edited the fact that since it had been having issues getting numb, they'd already given me the maximum safe dose of anesthetic for the day, so I had to reschedule for the next available appointment 3 weeks out, and get a temporary filling and prescription for Vicodin (which would make me sick and keep me from safely working) to tide me over. Long story short, my tooth is not only better, it's worse, and I am still waiting, (If you've ever needed a root canal you know the pain.) so the pain at the endodontist's was all for nothing.

Top comments

Normally if you put your hand up they'll immediately stop and check to make sure you're ok. Might be worth keeping that in mind for next time.

You should've said something even if you weren't completely sure it wasn't numb, before they started drilling. After all, it's better to be safe than to be sorry. But in this case, you were sorry. Hopefully you'll remember this if you ever get another root canal done, so that you won't make the same mistake twice.

Comments

Hybricide 8

I work in a dentist office and it happens all the time. A good way to keep that from happening is to brush...

Happens to me with EVERY cavity. Doesn't help that my body freezes so I can't raise my hand

The same thing happened to me when I had about 10 cavities filled. I felt all my bottom teeth

ollygollymolly 6

Some people have a really high tolerance to pain killers, I know it takes multiple shots before I can even consider letting them near my teeth.

anotherschmuck 5

I have that problem myself, to the point of dentist believing i'm lying because I need such a big dose for it to have any effect, some luckily have alternative anesthetics that works, maybe ask for that next time?

OP here. They did stop pretty quick, after it started hurting, before it got too bad. Anesthetic tolerance runs in the family (and no, I don't use any drugs). They edited the fact that since it had been having issues getting numb, they'd already given me the maximum safe dose of anesthetic for the day, so I had to reschedule for the next available appointment 3 weeks out, and get a temporary filling and prescription for Vicodin (which would make me sick and keep me from safely working) to tide me over. Long story short, my tooth is not only better, it's worse, and I am still waiting, (If you've ever needed a root canal you know the pain.) so the pain at the endodontist's was all for nothing.

SailorSolaris 43

When my doc tried to prescribe Vicodin before my root canal, I told him, and I quote, "If you give me that stuff, the only place it'll go is down the toilet. I'll take some Ibuprofen, thank you very much!". I hear Vicodin is very addictive and can make people hallucinate.

You have to take it with food, and ONLY take what the bottle says to take. It shouldn't make you too loopy if you take it correctly. If it's not working then stop taking it, if you run out and feel like you need more, and start feeling aches and pains you didn't have before then don't get more that means your body liked it too much. It doesn't have to be addictive if you stay aware of what is going on in your mind.

This is why I will do just about anything to avoid a root canal. Also, Vicodin works well for migraines!

I feel ya, I was given six shots of a numbing agents and it still didn't numb my tooth. Then the next time I went it took one.

SailorSolaris 43

From what everyone is saying, I'm pretty lucky. I have a decent tolerance for pain pills, but the anesthetic needle gets me numb in less than a minute!