By astraboy - 21/05/2009 09:11 - Australia

Today, I spent 3 hours making a birthday card for my boyfriend, delicately cutting each letter out of printed coloured paper. He used it as a coffee coaster. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 182
You deserved it 8 530

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When someone does that kind of shit with stuff I make, I stop caring about getting them anything special. Next time just grab a card and sign it, since he doesn't seem to care. By the way, don't print out colored paper just to cut out. Go out and buy construction paper, it's cheaper.

deaditegirl 0

What a jerk. Even if he's not into the sentimentality of cards or whatever, he should at least show some appreciation for you and your effort.

Comments

chill0987 0

Mine uses his card (that I spent hours making) as a mousepad

43 - colored/colored, or obviously since it's the OP's dialect, COLOUR/COLOURED. Like she typed it. Maybe he uses the card as a coaster because he likes it so much he wants to see it every time he sets his cup down? Like what did you want him to do, gold plate it then frame it? It's a card, guys don't show much emotion, he probably liked it and moved on. A card is a nice gesture, but seriously. He's not gonna wear it around his neck or something.

lmmmr 0

#50- False. Just because you are emotionally stunted doesn't mean your entire gender is. She spent 3 hours thinking about him, so that even if he did only read and experience it once, for a moment he would feel 3 hours worth of love. Fact: Everyone wants to feel loved, especially self-respecting individuals. She did nothing wrong. You and everyone agreeing with you should pull your hearts out of your ass, because you are in the wrong here. And #51- Using it as a mousepad is actually kind of cool. I'm all for finding practical uses for these sorts of things. But using it as a coffee coaster damages it, so that's not cool.

OP is a guy too. That makes this slightly more amusing that the response wasn't expected in the least... but FYL, still.

lmmmr 0

Edit: He* All points obviously stand.

Okay, so I'm a girl who loves making all the sentimental melt-your-heart cute stuff too, but I have 2 questions for the OP: 1. Did you let him know it took you 3 hours? He might have thought it didn't take that long. People don't really have that great a sense of how long something takes just by looking at it... especially people who don't do that type of thing themselves. 2. Did you REALLY, in your heart of hearts, think that he would want it? I love making crafts, but I don't think I would spend that much time for my boyfriend making a card. I know what types of things he would like, and cards isn't one of them. Still, sad if he used it as a coaster IN FRONT of you.

UsingLogic 0

#22: If you really want to make someone happy, you'll spend time on it, and you'll enjoy it, trust me. I personally spent over 15 hours painting a Warhammer figure for my girlfriend, because I thought a gift made by me would be nicer (and I think the figure itself was just as nice as anything else I could had got her). I went as far as making the hair and eye colors of the figure match hers. I can totally imagine how OP felt. You should had spilled his coffee on him, then maybe he would ask what's wrong. And if instead he gets angry and dumps you, then he's selfish and you did not loose anything.

ultraslick 0

#50 partially agree, it's not that guys don't acknowledge their feelings. It's that a birthday card is just a piece of paper. To a guy, a 3hour homemade card is no different from a 5 dollar card from hallmark. It would be like if he got her for her birthday an authentic sports jersey with her name on it. To him that would be an amazing gift, but to her it would just be a shirt.

chill0987 0

I wasn't saying I was offended by him using it as a mousepad. Iwould rather him do that then put it in a box or drawer and never think about it again. ....

Jboolia 0

I always make cool cards for my boyfriend like that. He kinda does the same thing. I bet he thought it was cute and appreciated it, but what's he supposed to do with it after he read it? I don't think it's that big of a deal. appretiation us nice, but I don't really think this counts as an FML.