By lord24 - 21/11/2015 00:16 - Russian Federation

Today, I'm celebrating my birthday in Russia. While we were enjoying a sauna, one of the guests decided to add water in order to make steam. It wasn’t water, it was vodka. You can imagine the rest. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 091
You deserved it 171

Top comments

Actually, I cannot imagine the rest. Please explain

Kaalschneid 21

science class, kids! alcohol has to be over 140 proof (70 alcohol per volume) to be flammable. most vodka (even in Russia) is 60-120 proof. so, unless it was stronger than average vodka, it would not have caught fire. if it was over 140 proof, it wold have still taken an open flame to ignite it. most likely: vodka evaporated and turned into gas, and got everyone VERY drunk. your lungs absorb alcohol WAY quicker and more direct than your stomach, because you're stomach makes alcohol go through the liver before the bloodstream. the lungs are a direct line to the bloodstream. instant shitface. KaalSchneid the science alcoholic guy.

Comments

Vodka is practically water to a Russian. It's to be expected.

Actually, I cannot imagine the rest. Please explain

Vodka is alcohol, and alcohol is highly flammable. When heat is applied, it usually catches huge flame. At least I believe this is what has happened.

see I was imagining vaporized alcohol burning the hell out of people's eyes haha

Either the vodka started on fire, or everyone got drunk.

Kaalschneid 21

science class, kids! alcohol has to be over 140 proof (70 alcohol per volume) to be flammable. most vodka (even in Russia) is 60-120 proof. so, unless it was stronger than average vodka, it would not have caught fire. if it was over 140 proof, it wold have still taken an open flame to ignite it. most likely: vodka evaporated and turned into gas, and got everyone VERY drunk. your lungs absorb alcohol WAY quicker and more direct than your stomach, because you're stomach makes alcohol go through the liver before the bloodstream. the lungs are a direct line to the bloodstream. instant shitface. KaalSchneid the science alcoholic guy.

Thank you very much for that explanation. It makes a lot more sense now.

Alcohol only needs to be high-proofed to burn if you hold a match to it at room temperature. All alcohols (even wines at 10-13% by volume) will catch fire when 1) exposed to enough heat to cause a rapid evaporation and 2) any open source of flame. Source: Professional Chef with lots of experience lighting shit on fire.

Thats how a vaportini works, Google it

CheekyRaccoon 27

You created a portal to another dimension filled with new and exotic lands. Only after years of venturing this wondrous land, you've come back to tell us?

CheekyRaccoon 27

Sounds similar but I'm not sure, I heard it being pronounced as Nunya or something. Also there were these flying bisons there, so I've been told that is.

#24: Russia's not the safest place to come out of the closet, unfortunately.

CheekyRaccoon 27

Yes, I was trying to make a referenced joke Aang it didn't quite work out.

Sounds like an awesome way to get drunk on your birthday.

you dip, they poured into a open flame or hot coals. It didn't get them drunk, it caught on fire .

Actually no, that is not how sauna works. In order to get steam you throw water on hot stones above the oven/fire place every couple minutes. Adding alcohol for flavour is completely normal. I myself prefer to use beer because the whole sauna smells like freshly baked bread then.

The alcohol immediately evaporated due to the high heat?

Actually it's not that uncommon to use scented Schnapps on the stones. Only, usually it's just a couple tablespoons full. You don't get drunk off that, it just intensifies the cleansing effect of the steam by opening up the pores.