By OutOfWork.OutOfTime - 28/10/2015 01:34 - United States - Cookeville

Today, I had my first job interview since graduating from university. The person who interviewed me informed me that not using my degree after two years practically makes it null and void. I guess instead of being a financial advisor at the company, I could always be a janitor there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 704
You deserved it 1 849

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lexiieeex3 32

That can't be the case everywhere, you just need to find a company that will give you a chance and value your work. Good luck OP!

orios105 18

I'm getting real scared that this might happen to me. I just want a decent job after college and make good money. sucks OP.

Comments

That's utter Nonsense, and they could be trying to strong arm you for a less qualified position, lesser pay, I say take your talent elsewhere where they recognize it OP

Trust me, that is NOT the case. The only time someone would say something like that is if a) they are just looking to polish their company image with "recent" graduates i.e. people who think that age = understanding technology or b) you are in a field where tech and practices change rapidly, in which case you can keep continually educating yourself outside of school and still be fine.

I'm confused as to why OP is having his first job interview two years after graduating. What's been going on for the last 2 years? Economy isn't that rough you can't even get a job interview.

I would think OP worked in other area. Probably was to lazy to change occupation until it was too late.

Skills learned are still there...it just may take a refresher to get your memory of the skills current!

It's all about who you know OP. I hope everything works in your favor.

Manager is not wrong, you know. OP will fare worse in this field than a recent graduate or a person with actual experience. 2 years gap, no experience, no internships and networking? It is not a lost case, but don't expect this to be easy.

Will have a harder time just at the beginning but will catch up eventually. Those knowledges are not easy forgettable.

Talk to the head of the department and HR your degree is for a lifetime. Whoever interviewed you is stupid

Baron_Kaz 15

That's a statement from a jealous person who does not have a college degree. A university degree is for life. I haven't used my master of electrical engineering in ages, I am a senior Vice President and all I do is attend meetings, no engineering! Doesn't mean that my degree is forfeit. And if anyone tells me that, I will kick his ass so hard even his mom won't be able to sit down for a year!

As a financial advisor? No. Your degree is fine. Now, if you didn't get an internship while in school (or haven't done that in two years), good luck surviving on Ramen as you go through one for the next couple financial quarters.