By OutOfWork.OutOfTime - 28/10/2015 01:34 - United States - Cookeville

Today, I had my first job interview since graduating from university. The person who interviewed me informed me that not using my degree after two years practically makes it null and void. I guess instead of being a financial advisor at the company, I could always be a janitor there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 704
You deserved it 1 849

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lexiieeex3 32

That can't be the case everywhere, you just need to find a company that will give you a chance and value your work. Good luck OP!

orios105 18

I'm getting real scared that this might happen to me. I just want a decent job after college and make good money. sucks OP.

Comments

That sucks OP. However, did you really do nothing at all with your degree for the past two years? If at all possible, try to look for a way in which you can keep in touch with the field you've graduated in. Maybe there's an internship or an evening course of some kind that could be relevant, or maybe you can volunteer somewhere? Of course, you'd prefer getting an actual job, but that's hard nowadays, and it never hurts to maximise your chances.

Surely there's some booster training you can do? If you're having problems I can't imagine what it must be like for parents returning to the workplace after a couple of years caring for their child. Good luck OP.

******* bullshit. Degrees are ALWAYS valid unless they are nullified or voided by the college/uni which you received it from. I have no ******* idea what your interviewer was smoking but whatever it was, it was some jacked up shit. I know ******* college professors who ******* had no job for 5 ******* years after they received their Ph.D's and they got their job easy ******* peasy. I just got a ******* job recently and I have not worked in an actual job before then and I got my masters 1.5 years ago. Like what the ****? Your degree is always valid. You ******* earned it.

#34 oops I didn't see that but the point still stands - I know engineering professors who were unemployed for 5 years after they got their PhDs' and they got hired without a hitch.

And I apologise for my vulgar language. Where I'm from the word "****" is not really even an insult anymore - one of our most popular TV shows is filled with swears and sexual language & innuendos; and I know for a fact that most 6 and 7 year olds have at least watched it once. I hear 8 year olds swearing on the street like its nothing. So I am sorry for my obscene choice in words, but where I'm from most would not see it as obscene.

Axel5238 29

Sorry OP, unfortunately with the way tech updates or programs in offices update they see that as a sign of you not being up with the newest stuff. I used to go to school for web design and animation back when I was 18. I couldn't find anything so I started working full time and later going to school for radio and broadcasting. A year ago I started a youtube channel for horror reviews and things changed a lot with final cut, the whole interface everything. I'm re-learning everything, the fact I aced my final in animation at 18 and those skills in flash ect... mean absolutely nothing now. Best thing I can recommend is take take classes to show that you are keeping up with newer stuff and the industry as it changes.

Goblin182 26

I think the interviewer had a lesser degree than you and was jealous. Didn't want to compete with you for promotions.

should have ask him, if you didn't drive for 2 years, does that make your licence void?

OP, he made a bullshit excuse for not hiring you because he had already chose who he wanted to hire. he was just being a dick about it. be glad he isn't your boss

Sandman2015 12

Sounds to me like that person just didn't want to hire you, reason unknown. Your financial degree should still be "valid" since the concept of finance really hasn't changed too terribly much for quite some time. Keep your head up, and keep searching.

aeryn97 17