By Northshore75 - 15/01/2015 22:24 - United States - Santa Ana

Today, I had lunch with my parents. I'm an Asian guy who married a Puerto Rican woman and we just had a boy. My dad looks at my son, then looks at me and says, "You ruined the bloodline." FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 976
You deserved it 3 414

Northshore75 tells us more.

I'm the guy that submitted this FML. I didn't think this topic would gain so much traction but I don't feel so alone and I do appreciate reading your comments good or bad. Yes, my parents are "racist assholes". Both of them immigrated into the U.S. in their teens. Currently in their 60's/70s respectively, I cannot fathom why they continue to harbor such hate but here is the kicker. I'm not pure Chinese. I'm part Chinese and Japanese. The Japanese is from my mother's side. My father rants about how much he hates the Japanese. Further, my grandfather was a medic for the Army in WW2 so that adds more fuel to the fire. So how in the hell did he get around to marrying my mother? Of course my father has no answer for that. The racism is only scratching the surface. It's the Asian tiger parents sort of mentality of romanticizing and demanding perfection from their offspring. Check out Amy Chua's book if you don't believe me. All I can do is press on in life and not repeat the same mistakes my parents made because I don't want my own son labeling me "asshole".

Top comments

"Dad, if bloodline was so important to you, you shouldn't have left Asia to come in the country of the melting pot"

The joke's on him because Puerto Rican women are awesome.

Comments

So what? You're kids will be Mudbloods and that's okay.

ZY1431 24

not surprising really. still sucks though best of luck OP

LOL, this post made me cry?. But seriously, congrats on being such an open minded person. Raise that kid right

Wow your father sounds like Lucius Malfoy

As a fellow asian guy I just wanna say niiiiice and a high five.

That really sucks. My dad was half Jewish and half Puerto Rican and when he was little he would face so much prejudice from his Jewish side of the family. Even from his own father (who was a drunk and abusive) who is the one who CHOSE to sleep with and have a kid with a Puerto Rican woman. He cut off all ties from his family when he was older and so I've never met anyone from his side. It really saddens me that people can look at innocent mixed race children and somehow think they are abominations.

Religion is a race? And how can one be half of a religion? Lol you're either Jewish or you're not. I don't hear people say they're half Christian. Do you mean Hebrew/middle eastern?

OK this is sort of unrelated but it reminded me of a discussion we had in my AP govt class about race and how practically everyone is gonna be mixed race and he used the example of if the half black half white girl and the half Nepali half white boy got married and had kids, would would their kids have to check on an application? I responded with all of the above (sarcastically of course). At this point in our history race should not be an issue. everyone is gonna be so mixed that its totally irrelevant