By mn_shr - 26/10/2013 01:25 - Qatar - Doha

Today, I got into a fight with my mother. Her idea of a birthday present to me is buying me a husband. Yes, buying. She told an asshat she found online about my trust fund, and now they're both trying to put together "the wedding of the millennium". She still doesn't understand why I'm mad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 133
You deserved it 2 990

mn_shr tells us more.

Hello everyone, OP here. I feel like I need to clear something up, and that's living in the Middle East does not mean I am from the Middle East. I repeat, not from Qatar. Also, Muslim or otherwise, Arab girls have the complete freedom to refuse marriage as they see fit. Not that there aren't exceptions to that, but for the most part girls are far more autonomous nowadays. To whoever looked up stuff on the internet, I'd like to say for a fact that it is 100% untrue. To clear up my situation, I'd like to point out I'm a very ritualistic person and my birthday means a lot to me. Seeing as my mother and I have never gotten along, and frankly don't like each other very much, her way to sabotage my birthday was to bribe this Sir Asshole McLoser to marry me. I've made my disinterest very clear so for those rooting that I give it a shot, please don't. I'm turning 23 and I think I'm going to wait a few years before considering resorting to arranged courtships and the like. Thanks for whoever wished me a happy birthday! P.S. Mr. Bastard, I've always had a thing for your sense of humor, I'm sure we could make something work.

Top comments

Don't agree to it. Seriously, no one can force you into a wedding or marriage you don't want.

Your mother can't just marry you off like that! It's unethical! It's immoral! It's just plain wrong to marry some stranger! You and your trust fund should marry me instead.

Comments

easy solution - don't do it! No one can force you

In most middle eastern countries this sort of thing is done. ******* religion holds back social progress.

ninjuh_wingman 29

Considering that they're in Qatar, yeah her mother might be able to.

15) Your inability to grasp the concept of faith makes you an idiot. America was founded on religion and it started pretty well. It was once we started letting it go that it started going down.

perdix 29

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Although I'm not totally against arranged marriages (if all parties agree to be arranged.) Most places where it's common divorce is also illegal or very frowned upon so of course the divorce rate is lower.

I don't understand why no one ever understands your humor. It seems to go right over the heads of a large number of FMLers.

I always wondered who the hell was replying to those "mail order brides" ads. At least now I know who's buying husbands.

saraitkddh 47

Marriage is personal choice not something that others decide for us. Sorry OP hope your mom will understand this one day.

Convince her that you're a lesbian. That'll solve the problem quickly.

RedPillSucks 31

Or simply kill her as the religion commands.

Holy Shizballs OP!? It sounds like its time to put a firm foot down with your mother and make it PERFECTLY clear (in a respectful manner of course, she IS your mother after all) that her behavior/actions are UNACCEPTABLE. Tell her you are a grown woman who knows what she wants and you'll do it on YOUR time table, NOT hers.

Im sry OP. I got no good advice for you other then whats already been said, except, some people need to be hit... in the face... with a chair... made of metal... multiple times. Telling them they are stuiped and to mind there own life would be an ok choice to I suppose.

despite what some are saying- arranged marriages are not a religious ""tradition"" or whatnot. religiously, muslims have a right to deny or accept the person as their spouse. arranged marriages are simply cultural circumstances. I'm middle eastern and my siblings chose their spouses in their own will; nothing was enforced.

TheDrifter 23

True, but they still happen. Every couple weeks the news runs a story about child brides and forced marriages from around the world.

thejimler 9

True, the woman can reject a marriage offer, but unfortunately the most determined and narcissistic of men and their families can view this as a game of "50 no's and a yes, means yes", and it's worse when the bonus round is "'no' means you want to be beaten, then 'no' means 'yes' cause I'm getting tired of playing".

I agree, well some people are just too narrow minded and blinded in extremism to think like others

frizz101 22

Americans only hear about the bad stuff other races do, *sarcasm* otherwise we would view them as people with emotions and feelings and wouldn't support our country going to war and killing millions of men women and children for no apparent reason *sarcasm* It's really awful how rampant racism is in the United States and how nonchalantly people toss it around. It seems in some areas more respect is given to property than to other human beings. Of corse not all Americans are racist bigots, it's just that they're the minority, especially when the media does their best to show that everyone who doesn't think like the president or military is a terrorist.

Better than my birthday, I can tell you that.