By HobblinGoblin - 18/12/2015 06:34 - United States - Eureka

Today, I finished polishing a song I was working on for my girlfriend. The next words out of her mouth when we next spoke: "I want to break up." FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 923
You deserved it 2 066

HobblinGoblin tells us more.

to clarify, she never heard the song. I practiced maybe a half hour a day for about a week, usually at night after she'd gone home.

Top comments

Hey, at least you didn't sing it yet! You now have a song for the next girl ;)

Been there, slightly rewrote that song for the next girlfriend, married that girlfriend 27 years ago, still play her that song on occasion, still know the lyrics by heart. It's not the song - it's the girl.

Comments

Mathalamus 24

Why do people make songs for their girlfriend? I'm smart enough to never do that, for obvious reasons.

Sorry but he's not the only one who thinks writing a song for someone is kinda cliche and dumb. Guess people nowadays seem like they're missing a few chromosomes so I'm sure there are plenty of ladies who would love that stuff.

MzZombicidal 36

Music is art. Music is a beautiful form of expression. Don't judge someone for using it to show their love for someone. How ******* bitter do you have to be? You're no better than OP just because you lack the ability or want to write music for someone.

Mathalamus 24

I'm single by choice. Maintaining a girlfriend in addition to everything else in my life tends to be difficult, hence the severe lack of creative romance.

Sorry but if you're needy like you're riding this comment chain I'd ditch you too.

Clearly she doesn't deserve shit from you

MzZombicidal 36

How is that clear? You don't know anything about their relationship.

Do you think maybe you wrote the song because you were trying to salvage a relationship that was already falling apart?

That must have been one terrible song. You didn't even get to sing it and she broke up with you.

deltaninetwo 10

I was going to post that he now has material for his next song.

Similarly to what #33 said, OP's ex maybe just wanted to move on from a relationship that wasn't working out? And no offence OP, but you must have seen it coming in some way - no one breaks up with a partner they're really happy with. Anyway, hope you both can go through it as painless as possible; there is a whole world of amazing people you both can meet :) and keep on composing those songs! Don't give up on the creative side of yourself because of this incident.

While you're right people typically don't break up when both parties are happy, a lot of people don't communicate they are unhappy. It is possibly OP didn't see it coming because their ex never really showed they were unhappy, there's lots of people who get shocked by a sudden breakup. Maybe OP can use their musical talents to cope with the breakup.

I used to date a guy who wrote poem to me and still to this day I remember them and I hope his current gf enjoys them as Much as i did. it's special thing you did and the next girl you spoil hope she recognizes the talent behind your art. Knowing you inspired someone to do any art from of expression about you, it's hot! English is not my first language hopefully it wasnt to confusing.

This is hands down the sweetest comment on this thread, and there have been a lot of wonderfully supportive people here. Thank you. :)

dude that sucks, I've had the same happen to me twice.