By Grimmerie - 07/03/2016 09:05 - Canada - Vancouver

Today, my vet prescribed Xanax for my very anxious dog, because he keeps me awake all night whining and pacing. He slept soundly for about an hour, then woke up, threw up all over my carpet, and went right back to whining and pacing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 809
You deserved it 1 708

Grimmerie tells us more.

Hey everyone! Here's a bit more explanation. Brodie, my little guy, is 13 years old. He's always been anxious but as he gets older it's gotten worse. His body is in great condition but his mind is definitely starting to go. I take him out in the evenings for a long walk to let him get his exercise and also to let him check on his favourite spots in the neighbourhood. In addition to the xanax, he's on an anti-nauseant. I also restrict food about two hours before bedtime, and water half an hour before. He fixates on drinking and can make himself sick that way. Restricting prevents some issues. He lives with my mom, and I usually dont live here, but I'm between apartments and taking care of Brodie while mom is in Australia. Her being away is definitely amping his anxiety. My solution right now is to sleep in my bed until 6 am, when he gets anxious, and then we both go downstairs and I sleep another couple hours on the couch while he naps near the door. It's uncomfortable but that way he settles, and considering he's this old I don't mind indulging him. I'm taking him back to the vet today to talk about more treatment options or adjusting his dose. Sorry for the novel, and thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Top comments

That makes me sad, because as a human with a diagnosed anxiety disorder I know what life with anxiety feels like. I think my dog used to "feed" off of my anxiety because he became a nervous little guy too. I've started taking him for 2 daily walks, one 30 minute walk in the morning, and one 30 minute walk after dinner. I have noticed a huge improvement in his moods since I started that schedule, like your dog mine would whine and pace and constantly want to go outside and then come back inside. Sometimes he will whine and pace but nothing like he used to and he never bugs me to keep going out or coming inside. Occasionally life happens (for example maybe I'm ill, or I have some school stuff [as a full time college student I constantly have school stuff] or studying, etc) so I have family take him. I've found that he really likes keeping to a schedule, even to where I can predict when he will eat or need to go potty. It's rare but if I can't get one of my brothers to take him I've even asked neighbors (one of which is studying to become a vet so she loves my little man!!) My vet started him on an antidepressant temporarily and we took him off finally a few weeks ago (it caused him to gain about 8lbs in 16weeks) and so far I think he has been well adjusted and he was ready to come off. Anyways good luck with your dog!! I hope you can find something to help him. Work closely with your vet, I'm sure there's a solution!!

It sounds like the medicine isn't working well with your dog. Take him back to the vet and see if there's another alternative. Even if it is working, it's better to be safe then sorry!

Comments

That sounds really shitty. Maybe ask him to prescribe a different drug for your dog?

I've been conditioned to automatically downvote any comment that has the word "shitty" in it..

aww poor guy, sorry about your sleep being messed up. hopefully your dog gets better!!

It sounds like the medicine isn't working well with your dog. Take him back to the vet and see if there's another alternative. Even if it is working, it's better to be safe then sorry!

Tell your vet about the situation. He/she may end up prescribing an anti-nausea medication as well.

That really sucks for both of you. Hopefully your vet is able to find something that works for him so he isn't suffering and you're able to get some rest. A lot of pets benefit from behavioral modification therapy in conjunction with the medicinal intervention, might be worth the investment. Keep trying for both your sakes!

That makes me sad, because as a human with a diagnosed anxiety disorder I know what life with anxiety feels like. I think my dog used to "feed" off of my anxiety because he became a nervous little guy too. I've started taking him for 2 daily walks, one 30 minute walk in the morning, and one 30 minute walk after dinner. I have noticed a huge improvement in his moods since I started that schedule, like your dog mine would whine and pace and constantly want to go outside and then come back inside. Sometimes he will whine and pace but nothing like he used to and he never bugs me to keep going out or coming inside. Occasionally life happens (for example maybe I'm ill, or I have some school stuff [as a full time college student I constantly have school stuff] or studying, etc) so I have family take him. I've found that he really likes keeping to a schedule, even to where I can predict when he will eat or need to go potty. It's rare but if I can't get one of my brothers to take him I've even asked neighbors (one of which is studying to become a vet so she loves my little man!!) My vet started him on an antidepressant temporarily and we took him off finally a few weeks ago (it caused him to gain about 8lbs in 16weeks) and so far I think he has been well adjusted and he was ready to come off. Anyways good luck with your dog!! I hope you can find something to help him. Work closely with your vet, I'm sure there's a solution!!

This is obviously a very well thought out comment. Thank you for taking the time to help me and my buddy out! He doesn't really ask to go outside, it's more like he can't get comfortable. He'll try settling on my bed, his bed, a towel on the floor, in my laundry basket, etc. When we're downstairs where we can keep an eye on the door, though, he's perfectly fine. I'm taking him back to the vet today and we'll try and figure out some strategies for helping him settle down!

#9 and #21 it honestly makes my heart so happy to hear how much you care about your fur babies! Seriously, you two are part of the great parents of fur babies club. I would do anything for my cat, he's my baby! I also didn't know that animals could take antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. That also makes me happy that we can take care of them in that aspect as well. Fur babies are my favorite babies, they're the only babies I ever plan to have! I'm seriously so proud of you guys, and any other people who love and take care of their babies :D

#21 have you tried letting him sleep by the door? Or giving him free access to get to the door whenever? My dog does the same thing yours does, but stops once she knows everyone is home. She won't sleep in my room unless the door is open, so that she can get water, walk around, and check the door whenever she feels likes it. Walks helped only because she was too tired to pace around.

If your dog is not able to lay next to you it is worried that something is wrong with u and thus the nervousness. It may require letting the dog sleep with you for now hopefully not forever. If it just has access to be able to check on u may be enough.

He sleeps in my room with me. Unfortunately he'd prefer it if I slept downstairs with him.

Is he incontinent and possibly anxious about having an accident indoors?

Try maybe natural remedies. The closer to nature an animal is, the better they usually feel. Good luck!

my dog has anxiety as well. he has been on amatrptyaline (I think that is how you spell it) and is currently on Clomicalm. You might have to find a behavior specialist. Good luck!!