By Anonymous - 01/06/2017 21:00 - Italy

Today, my four-year-old son received a 20 Euro bill from his grandmother. Since he couldn't fit the bill into his piggy bank, he tore it up into a bunch of tiny pieces to make it fit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 550
You deserved it 596

Top comments

Kids, gotta love that they have no logic whatsoever. Don't give paper money to kids, people.

Putting a new meaning into "don't spend it all in one place".

Comments

Putting a new meaning into "don't spend it all in one place".

Kids, gotta love that they have no logic whatsoever. Don't give paper money to kids, people.

AletheDefender 15

Kids just don't give a shit

No problem. Just take the bill out and change it into a new one at the nearest bank. As long as you have most of the parts they will do that without questions. You can also let it stay inside the piggy bank until needed.

Why would a bank give you a new one for a ruined one?

A bank won't replace "mutilated"- a category that would include shredded- bills, but the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will in the USA. It requires a letter of explanation of what happened to it, all the pieces in a container, and an estimation of how much the bill is worth. But, again, that's in the USA. It may be different in the U.K.

WeirdUS 29

You have to have 50% of the bill at least intact. They will not do it if it is torn into shreds.

Midnalink, I couldn't reply to you so I hope you see this. Most countries use banks as a means to filter damaged or older paper bills out of circulation. The banks introduce newly minted money and remove the old on a regular basis, and will often accept damaged bills in exchange for a deposit or new bill. That or call your country's treasury and they will do the same.

Paper money doesn't belong in a piggy bank to begin with. As a kid, I had a pencil shaped one, and a Hershey plastic cup for my paper money.

Lobby_Bee 17

Your son is a genius! He just increased the value tenfold. A bunch of 20 euro bills is worth more than one.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Tape it back together. And keep on trucking.

squiros 2

it's disconcerting that nobody knows enough about money that everyone thinks that the bill has somehow lost its value. including the editors.

Why didn't you help your son to carefully fold it and put it in?

I will never understand why the majority of the world doesn't use plastic notes :S we do in Australia and never have this problem, or a problem w leaving money in pockets in the wash...