By IPad Loser - 08/09/2017 10:41

Today, my family thought it would be fun to replace my iPad with a better one while I slept. I had a project on there that I had been working on since the first day of school. They already wiped the old one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 582
You deserved it 571

Renna303 tells us more.

Renna303 12

Hey, op here. So all of you are saying that I should back up my iPads. I do back it up. It automatically backs up every 3 weeks. But when I posted this, school had been in session for 2 weeks. It backed up right before school started. I was able to get most of my other stuff back but just not the project.

Top comments

I am an IT guy and I am wondering if you backed up the old one anywhere. Your work could be synced via one of the many cloud services available.

Lobby_Bee 17

Good news, you got a new iPad! Bad news, you got a new iPad.

Comments

poisonivyandbigfoot 10

It sucks what your parents did, but YDI. First rule of electronics, always have a back up.

Now this is why you back up your stuff ?

Why? Why? Why would anybody wipe the contents of someone else's computer? Even if they were giving them a new one? It makes no sense.

Exactly! There's pictures and app data and contacts and documents that people keep on their devices. And OP's parents didn't care and just deleted it all. "Oh, you had pictures from our vacation on here? Too bad."

jamielusions 19

So they through the trouble if wiping the old one but not backing it up and reetoring the new one while they were at it?

Now it's all lovely with the kind gesture of buying a new pad but why wipe it clean without asking? And do you have backup? If you have all your projects or school work on it always consider back up either on your computer or a cloud or whatever you deem fit in case the pad breaks or is stolen or damaged. Also i don't see the point in them TAKING the old one and replacing it with a new one. Just give you the new one as a gift and simply not touch what is yours. If you were done with the old one then they might be able to take it. Sorry about this...

Renna303 12

Hey, op here. So all of you are saying that I should back up my iPads. I do back it up. It automatically backs up every 3 weeks. But when I posted this, school had been in session for 2 weeks. It backed up right before school started. I was able to get most of my other stuff back but just not the project.

Why didn't you make a manual backup of your project? With your current setting you cam still lose 3 weeks of work if something goes wrong.

Although you had a bit of a plan, 3 week auto backup is more for casual use and photos. Using for school? You save every hour, and backup work projects that night. I've been taught since middle school that you should back up to an external source. I remember sending multiple emails to myself before cloud storage. Larger projects I burned to CDs. Nowadays we have the most easiest way to back up, literally an option in a menu. Hope it's a lesson for for your future. Yours was an odd situation, but it could have easily been stolen or malfunctioned causing a wipe. Good luck continuing your project!

Please excuse my "for for" in a sentence above. Still really dislike I cannot edit. :/

I can see a 3 week backup on photos, but school work? Not a chance. I backed up my laptop and iPad daily while in school, to three different sources as well. One went to my PC, another to an external hard drive, and another to a flash drive.

gobiteme2 34

OP if the project was that important you should back up ever few pages or even paragraphs. It's not like you have to spend 10 to 15 minutes to send a back up command.

samomaha 17

Three weeks? That's totally inappropriate scheduling, even for casual users. So sorry this happened to you, OP, but please take this opportunity to learn. Casual users should run backups at least weekly, and for something as important as school or work, daily backup s are a must. And always keep the three most recent backups. Good luck in the future OP!

Karm@ 28

At least now you can (re)do it faster...

Hey OP, data recovery programs do exist, and there are many free ones out there. It's most likely your iPad hasn't written over the original project. Don't give up hope lol