By BleakExpectations - 12/03/2017 16:00

Today, my boyfriend of 3 years revealed he'd got me a complete collection of Charles Dickens' novels for £3 from a charity shop. He was particularly proud as he said it meant he could give me one for Christmas and my birthday each year, thus avoiding having to buy me presents for the next 15+ years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 928
You deserved it 604

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well look at the upside, at least he fully plans on sticking around for another 15 years.

He'll keep "A Christmas Carol" because his hero is Ebeneezer Scrooge. "Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?"

Comments

jcash52426 5

Great and I'll give a roll of Pennies (50 cents in the us) for your birthday and Christmas.

He'll keep "A Christmas Carol" because his hero is Ebeneezer Scrooge. "Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?"

Well, if you like Dickens that is not so bad. My family has decided to stop giving presents to each other. It's not meant to be mean, just practical. We all have to much stuff as it is now.

species4872 19

Well look at the upside, at least he fully plans on sticking around for another 15 years.

This guy is a genius. Now you have to marry him to let him see his plan through.

CaliChris 9

Just buy the same collection for yourself - and tell him that you've freed him from the obligation of giving you those novels so he can enjoy them himself.

Charles Dickens is amazing. Call it a new tradition.

CaptainShalliwaffle 3

Op here - I hate Dickens. I read most of it for my degree and therefore already have most of the books in question.

Did you point out to him that he was bragging about how for the next fifteen years he was going to give you books you hated, and already owned? 'Cause I'd like to know his reaction to having it spelled out for him. Also, buy a economy pack of socks. Give him one for each holiday from now on. No pairs, one sock per holiday.

Garnetshaddow 30

I'm sorry to hear that. Normally I would say that a gift of literature is great because books are awesome. If you hate that author though... not so much. (I read some Dickens and did not care for him either...) I have two suggestions: Either accept the books and insist on reading them aloud together, or go back to the charity store and find some equally odd books to give to him. If you keep him, It can be a great gag gift tradition. In all seriousness... I wish you luck.

Holy hell. A complete collection for that cheap?