By Anonymous - 04/07/2014 22:02 - United Kingdom - Sherborne

Today, my 11-year-old son and I took an IQ test for a laugh. To be honest, I've often suspected that I may have some form of mental retardation, but I didn't expect to get a score of 79, while he got one of 114. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 567
You deserved it 7 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well you should be proud that you have a smart child.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
jojimugo 20

#26 actually they are ... It's in the name "intelligence quotient"

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
RedPillSucks 31

IQ tests are notorious for simplifying things. Intelligence has many facets and this society is only partially good at measuring some of them. Some of the tests are a joke.

IQ tests, even professional ones, are a measure of one type of intelligence. Scores over around 120-130 (on the ones averaging 100) don't give you much benefit career wise. If it was an Internet one, it's not worth thinking of. OP if you're where you want to be in life, it doesn't matter. If you're not, look at education to get there, you may need testing for dyslexia among other things. The score still doesn't matter. It's a number on one test.

32- guess who cares about your IQ? that's right, it's nobody!

This reminds me of Forrest Gump. But I'm sure you aren't that bad. Your character isn't determined by your IQ. Be happy for your son though OP. :)

Well you should be proud that you have a smart child.

gjikvtj 18

And that you must be attractive because your husband didn't like you for your brain

zanoty 17

actually his child's is still lower than average average is about 120 and op is a guy

SRNH 3

IQ is specifically normed so that 100 is the average.

The dude expresses himself pretty eloquently. I don't think his score is that low.

If it was via internet, that is never accurate. If it was by person, well then I don't know what to say..

120 is the highest in the "normal" area of IQ. Also, since IQ tends to be hereditary with children roughly in the average of their parents', the test is bullshit, your wife score must be quite high, or your child is not your child.

114 isn't smart to all the people who say that they're lucky to have a smart kid

96-117 is average intelligence, anything under 80 is considered mentally retarded. 119-128 is above average, and 129+ is considered genius.

It may be the time to say he's adopted

lexiieeex3 32

Exactly. You should want your children to do better than yourself. You should want them to have endless possibilities and with a near gifted intelligence he will.

RedPillSucks 31

I don't think 114 qualifies as near gifted.

Hope you're not annoyed by the correction :) but you have to be at least 130 to be considered "gifted".

As others have said 130 starts the 'gifted' area, so the OP has a 'normal' child. But under 80 is the less than gifted OP...

lexiieeex3 32

100 is average intelligence. 114/115 is the start of high average leaning towards being gifted at 130, thus, OP's son is near-gifted.

voncrane 23

I'd be glad. I hope my kids are smarter than I am.

IQ tests are designed to compare you to other people your own age. So OP is not as smart as other people at his or her age while his son is smart for a 11 year old.

r_bruce69 19

IQ tests are utter bullshit anyway. There is no way of knowing if they are accurate. Also, no person is equipped to measure intelligence

Wow he whooped you, at least he's ok mentally

gjikvtj 18

Dude nice shirt Oh, damn it

Hahaha good one :p but I felt like showing of my tattoo so sue me

Should've flipped the picture so the text was the right way round then. Takes a while to read as it is, it's not exactly a blocky font even. *tut tut tut*

toxic_walrus 15

At least you have a smart son!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Firstly, OP is a male. Secondly, OP thought that he himself have had a mental retatardation, not his son. Please read FMLs twice before commenting to make sure you've read them properly.

myeviltwin 20

No. He said he always thought he was partially retarded, not his son. Besides the fact that IQ tests are highly subjective. He (the dad) scored just below the low end of normal, and his son scored just towards the upper end of normal.

It depends on the questions you probably got an adult one and he got one for a kid his age...that's how they are set up I got a high score a middle school one in high school while having a really low score for a college one

tehdarkness 21

Perhaps you should pursue this further; you could have a learning disability. You can find the tools that you need to make life easier.

If your son is so smart, then i have four words for you: YOU SHOULD FEEL RELIEVED. In modern society, kids fifteen or older have an IQ score of 40, possibly even lower.

Please tell me you meant "some kids" because all my teenage friends and I are right around 130. Not everyone in the younger generation is an idiot.

#10 are you throwing random opinions? Where are your sources?

IQ goes by age and developmental stage. If you get an IQ of 100, you are average for your age group, and right where you should be.

#10 Says the fourteen-year-old. How many people do you know who have an IQ under 40.

Besides all else, IQ is averaged across the population, so the numbers are meaningless unless everyone in the world takes them, of course there's many countries where children don't even get schools to go to, so that's not going to happen anyone soon. But also means the ability needed to get average would lower, not loads and loads just get really low scores. And nothing worse than a teenager who thinks they're smart trying to claim that most others are stupid.

#10 are you aware that an IQ of 40 is usually classified as severe mental retardation? If your "statistic" was correct the majority of the young population would be very noticeably mentally delayed.

it must be hard being that ******* stupid.

Online IQ tests are ridiculous. Actually, even written ones aren't great. One administered by a psychologist is the best, but to be honest, if you grew up with puzzles and logic games, you do better, regardless of actual intelligence. Mine came in above 160, so my skepticism about these tests isn't because I did poorly.

I've taken a couple different "IQ tests" online and got two completely different scores. They're definitely a joke. Don't feel too bad, OP.

Mine also came up 160. That is probably why I am skeptic about it.