By Anonymous - 13/07/2017 21:30

Today, the manager that hired me and worked for years to inspire and connect her staff was laid to rest. Hours before the funeral, her replacement told me he wanted my 2 weeks notice on his desk tonight. I've been a model employee, he just doesn't like me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 561
You deserved it 277

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kadena288 2

What a shame it is illegal (I would hope) to try and force someone out of a job!!

Sucks for your new manager that you're not going down like that.

Comments

kadena288 2

What a shame it is illegal (I would hope) to try and force someone out of a job!!

Bobby319 24

It's not illegal if the poster is in the US, as the US is employment at will, which means that you can be fired for no reason at all or for any reason your employer wants as long as that reason is not your race, gender, religion, etc. it may however violate company policy so OPs best bet is to contact HR or a area supervisor

There's a difference between firing someone and demanding a 2 week notice to be handed in.

ohsnapword 21

OP is in a no win situation. On one hand, if she hands in her notice, she is ineligible for unemployment if she is unable to find a job. On the other hand, if she stays, the manager can either make her life miserable until she quits or dream up company policy and write her up for violations against it and terminate her. The documented violations would server to prevent her from collecting unemployment. Depending on the company, going to HR could be useless. My suggestion; fine a new job ASAP and resign. If you're vindictive, go back there as a customer and set them up to fail. This will allow you to smear them on Yelp without risking defamation.

You would have to be stupid to do what the manager wants if you are in the USA as it would prevent you from collecting unemployment benefits. Let him fire you and then you can collect unemployment benefits.

Sucks for your new manager that you're not going down like that.

It's wrongful termination and you should deff file for unemployment

That’s the way we do it nowadays. That shit would never have happened when America was great. I’m sure the Cheeto-in-Chief will work hard to fix that for you.

My sincere condolences. You must be already upset to have lost her and now this! Is it legal to do this? To fire you is one thing, but to force you to leave? If it is I'm really sorry especially if you liked your job and are good at it. FML indeed!

You are under no obligation to resign. Make him fire you. If you resign, you can't file for unemployment. If you've been a model employee, he can't claim he fired you for cause.

I wish the former manager could rise up from her grave and teach her replacement a lesson he won't soon forget!

Assuming you're in the United States (You're Anonymous right now), check to see if your state is a "Right to Work" state. If by chance you're in a union, use their lawful power to your advantage. Even if your state is a "Right to Work" state, the employer usually has to provide a path of termination to protect themselves legally, aka a list of wrongdoings that you've done and has been documented. While they could be contested on those things, it would make it harder for you to beat them. Best of luck!