By Anonymous - 12/10/2017 20:00

Today, my mom borrowed my computer without my permission and downloaded a virus. I came home to a blue screen of death. She refuses to admit fault and pay for a new computer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 068
You deserved it 421

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I’m confused at the people saying the OP works in IT, where does it specify that he’s an IT worker?

Why not just reformat it...? It's not like a blue screen affects the actual hardware.

Comments

Reminds me of my boyfriend's mom. I haven't seen it personally, but he's mentioned to me that she somehow gets viruses on every computer she's had to the point where he has to buy her a new one. She even 'killed' a Mac. My sister used to do the same; of course, she was a kid then. She recently 'killed' his all-in-one computer that he let her use. No idea what is happening or what she's doing, but some people don't react well with technology.

Hellblazer_Sith 25

Hi OP - I work in IT. If possible try doing a system restore. If that fails try doing a windows recovery. You can also try going into Windows in safe mode. Malware doesn’t mean you need a new PC and can be easy to fix.

If you work in IT like people are suggesting the comment previously said, then you should know that virus software and firewalls should be used on ALL PCs that use the internet. You should also know that it is far cheaper to format or fix a new computer than buy a new one, even if you can't fix it yourself, as there are varying roles in IT, it will still be cheaper to pay someone than buy a new one. I think you're just trying to take your mother for a ride to get an upgrade.

Also I agree with the user that said most blue screen issues are hardware or driver related, not virus.

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Try caspersky offline scan. It helped for my pc...

One: OP works in IT. It's EXTREMELY unlikely those of you giving BASIC trouble shooting advice are going to tell them something they don't already know. Two: It doesn't matter how good of a firewall or anti-virus program you have if the person using the computer does something- intentionally or not- that lets the virus bypass them. Three: Some viruses CAN cause hardware damage by using so much of the hardware that it overheats, causing parts to melt or warp. Four: It sounds possible that OP's mother has her own computer and is aware she isn't supposed to use OP's- but that she used OP's because she knew she was doing something that could damage the computer she did it on. A lot of people who suck at safely using the internet do this. Five: Given that OP has a job, it isn't exactly unfair for them to expect their mother to at least be a decent person and admit to what she did, and offer SOME kind of help with replacing the computer or whatever parts were damaged. Six: If it's hardware damage and it ISN'T from a virus or a result of the **** up on the update for Windows 10, it means that she physically did something to the computer to break it, and thus likely knows /exactly/ what is wrong with it, but is making OP hunt for the problem instead of owning up to her **** up.

ohsnapword 21

Asking your mother to replace the computer because of a virus is like asking her to buy you a new car because she got a flat tire while borrowing it. Learn how to fix it yourself. Like changing a tire, removing a virus from a computer is a skill everyone should have.

she gave you life and you nagging about a PC?

When you get her to buy you a new pc I’ll take your “dead” one off your hands.