By AtLeastWeCan'tHaveKids - 02/10/2017 23:45

Today, my girlfriend of 8 years and I received our results from a DNA test. We're both very interested in history and ancestry, and wanted to see where in the world we both originated. It turns out we have the same father. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 352
You deserved it 323

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would do a second test. Maybe some cross contamination of your samples happened.

First I would check pretty carefully to see if the information is accurate before making any decisions. Second, if it is true I would not freak out about the situation. The chances of there being an actual issue in possible children from both having the same father (if it’s true) are generally way overstated. Get expert advice if it’s actually true - not from family and friends.

Comments

Yikes. Sounds like a case GSA- genetic sexual attraction. It's up to you two to decide what to do, especially since there isn't even a tiny chance of children. Look at laws for your area, etc.

I would do a second test. Maybe some cross contamination of your samples happened.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. Cross contamination with DNA wouldn't make half of the be the same, and if it did it would be obvious because the chances are 0 that they got the same exact genes from their father

First I would check pretty carefully to see if the information is accurate before making any decisions. Second, if it is true I would not freak out about the situation. The chances of there being an actual issue in possible children from both having the same father (if it’s true) are generally way overstated. Get expert advice if it’s actually true - not from family and friends.

If you look at the little symbol next to OP's name you can see she is also a woman. That's why they can't have children.

PenguinPal3017 19

Two women cannot have children together.

Saying that a brother and a sister (which is not the case here) can have a child is sick. And against the law.

If you two really love each other, i say screw it and get married if you want. Maybe not make any kids for fear of increased chance of defects, but there is always adoption and the choice is up to you. Like others said, do a second test first though, but in the end, you only just found out and that shouldn’t have to stop you

Legally, they can't get married or adopt. They're too genetically cloae.

PenguinPal3017 19

The government doesn't know about it, at least it sounds that way.

befuddled455 9

they can't have kids anyway due to the fact that the OP is also a woman

Catto-Golden 23

They can get married of nobody says anything

I think the best unwritten part of the FML is knowing that at some point, one of them got the impulse to compare parentage, like they perhaps suspected something was up.

Yea I feel like that is the only way this FML could be true because at least the ancestory dna test I did they just told you where your DNA says you're from in the world.

PenguinPal3017 19

I think it tells you about people related to you who also did the test.

exileonmainst 16

And now I guess it makes more sense when you look back at the family gatherings, where both you and your partner called the same man "dad"..

If the OP & his sister (including 1/2 siblings) live in the United States, all 50 states classify marriage, sexual intercourse, and/or cohabitation as illegal. Every state, except Rhode Island, has penalties that range from up to $100,000.00 and prison time. In 4 states, the penalty is life imprisonment.

I find it weird you know every state BUT Rhode Island has those laws.

Well... I mean, you made it this far, and clearly one of you didn't know your father, so you weren't raised together. I...don't really see anything wrong with it? It's not like you're adoptive siblings or something, you didn't know about the other person hahaha. I'd just keep it to myself and not let it affect me tbh. Don't throw away an eight year relationship over something like that just because you now know.

I'm rather certain that OP is also a woman, given their name in this post. Also, in some locations it would in fact be illegal for them to remain a couple with knowledge that they are half siblings. Which means they need to find that out, because punishment depends on location.

thatslifeiguess7 16

So come up with a royal family crest get married and say your family is well royal....