By Why me. - 20/10/2018 11:30 - United States - Kent

Today, I emailed my boss to let her know I was uncomfortable working over what my university’s 28-hour policy allows. She demanded I work 40 hours this week. In any other job, I'd be fine, but if I work over 28 hours, the university will fire me. If I refuse to work 28 hours, my boss will fire me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 635
You deserved it 229

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Get a dialogue going between your boss, and university. Make them sort it out.

Work for the 28 hours, then volunteer for the remaining 12. Actually, if you exceed your work hours because your boss demands it, it is he that is in trouble with the university, not you.

Comments

Get a dialogue going between your boss, and university. Make them sort it out.

Work for the 28 hours, then volunteer for the remaining 12. Actually, if you exceed your work hours because your boss demands it, it is he that is in trouble with the university, not you.

whiskey'swino 15

There must be someone you can discuss this will, the liaison between the University and your work place. Perhaps your boss does not know University policy but the person at the University that is giving you credit for the job would.

TxKitten79 10

So you go to the university's Employment Services and/or Academic Affairs office. Your boss can't fire you for refusing to break campus policy.

Notify the university. If you're only allowed to work 28 hours per week, do the 28, and only the 28. your boss can figure out the next shift.

I'm guessing some of you haven't had bad bosses? There are many out there who would just fire someone without attempting to make any accommodation. Many small businesses don't have some HR department to answer to, and just shaft people as they wish.

peithecelt 28

this is student employment, which at least to me implied it's employment by the University. that means there is DEFINITELY an HR department to work with.

TxKitten79 10

As true as that may be, it's clearly NOT the case here. Universities hire students to work in many offices on campus. The student workers' allowable hours are set by the university (at my college its 20 hours per week). The boss in this situation would be aware of the limitations and is required to abide by them.

TomeDr 24

Unless your boss is the owner of the company, there is someone who is higher up. Go to that person and explain the situation.

threaten with the labour board can't fire you then

welcome to the real world where you work overtime and lie about it

If it can't be sorted out mind that its easier to find a new job than a new university. And you need university to get a better job. Yes, it works that way.