By CathRoy - 03/11/2017 19:30 - Canada - Sherbrooke

Today, at 10AM, I fried my $2000 work laptop by dropping a glass of water on the keyboard. One hour later, the IT tech gave me a new laptop with my former hard disk and I felt very lucky. Then, at 2PM, I dropped another glass of water on my keyboard. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 433
You deserved it 7 388

Top comments

Let me spell it out for you ; always keep fluids away from your laptop.

They say doing the same thing over again despite knowing that it has negative results is the definition of insanity. I don't agree that it defines insanity, but it certainly defines stupidity...

Comments

Sandra Foran 10

One would think you’d learn from your first expensive mistake... not be a dumbass and repeat it hours later. YDI.

I only ask one question: What country do you live in?

Common sense is keeping water/liquids away from expensive electronics.. You'd think you'd have acquired some after the first incident. YDI

Strictly speaking, you poached your laptop. It's not really fried if you used water instead of oil now isn't it?

You would think that you would learn the first time

This is why we don't have nice things.

Sounds like it's time for your workplace to either fire you for intentionally damaging work property, or alternatively, to go find the oldest laptop in the place for you to use. You know the type, the one that's over 15 years old, runs Windows ME, and struggles to do even the most basic tasks.

Well, while that seems like a logical "punishment" in the end it might just cost the company more than a new laptop would in lost productivity.

staticballoons 5

I would have fired you on the spot. Costing a company $4,000? You seem like you're pretty replaceable since you don't even have enough common sense to not have water near a computer in the first place. You 100% deserve it, OP. I hope they fire you and make you pay the $4,000.

chessu 21

YDI hard time. I work in a television studio where in addition to computers we have even more expensive integrated equipment, and though open liquids are forbidden (especially in the gallery) every now and again someone will forget their bottle or will want tea, so they are sadly sometimes around. However, it is RARE that anyone will spill anything because no one's a moron and knows to be careful and no kit has had to have been changed in my two years there. If in the once in a blue moon occasion someone does spill something, they are mortified and no drinks will be seen for a while. How you managed to spill two drinks in 4 hours is absolutely beyond me.

Some how, I don't feel bad for you. > _>