By Nono - 19/10/2012 02:25 - Argentina

Today, and since forever, I hate vegetables. I’ve been in Argentina for a few days for a one year exchange and I’ve been placed into a vegetarian family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 630
You deserved it 256

Top comments

How does one "hate vegetables" though? I mean, I get that you might not like certain vegetables, but there's so many vegetables and so many ways of cooking them that I can hardly imagine you wouldn't be able to find some that you like. Not eating any vegetables is quite unhealthy, so maybe instead of complaining about this, you should take it as an opportunity to become a less picky eater. You can always go to a restaurant if you feel like you need meat from time to time.

On the bright side, this may lead you to find a vegetable that you do like, not everything is just uncooked greens.

Comments

That's a pity cause argentinian meat is the best in the world :/ But don't worry, once you make friends, they'll invite you to eat asado at their house ! You can also go out and eat at restaurant (pretty cheap over there).

On the bright side, this may lead you to find a vegetable that you do like, not everything is just uncooked greens.

Exactly! Even if it sucks for you to eat them, vegetables are excellent for providing micronutrients and fiber in your diet. This could really benefit your health if you haven't found ways to compensate for nutritional deficiencies in the past. And as others have said, you can still enjoy the non-vegetarian dishes elsewhere in the city.

How does one "hate vegetables" though? I mean, I get that you might not like certain vegetables, but there's so many vegetables and so many ways of cooking them that I can hardly imagine you wouldn't be able to find some that you like. Not eating any vegetables is quite unhealthy, so maybe instead of complaining about this, you should take it as an opportunity to become a less picky eater. You can always go to a restaurant if you feel like you need meat from time to time.

I don't know if OP is just a picky eater, or if OP is like me and has a type of selective eating disorder. I can't eat fruit or vegetables because it makes me extremely anxious and I panic and if I try to eat it, I guarantee you I will throw up. It started when I was 2 or 3 years old. I would eat anything put in front of me but one day I just gradually stopped eating some things and then stopped altogether. Experts don't know why it happens, but they suspect the child might connect episodes of acid reflux with the particular food and associate the burning with it and stop eating it. It's honestly ruined so much of my life. Maintaining a healthy diet and weight is damn near impossible. Healthy food looks yummy but the tastes, smells, and textures are so alien to me that I simply cannot eat it. I have tried so hard to eat fruits and vegetables but I just can't. I almost threw up when some tomato dropped on my foot. That's how much I can't deal with it. It's embarrassing and anxiety-inducing and going out to eat is a big no-no unless I can view the menu in advance to see if there's something I can safely eat. I need to see a psychologist and a dietician but I can't afford it.

That's not to say, mind you, that I am morbidly obese. Yes, I have been big all my life because of this and I have been teased to the point of depression and self-harm. Yes, I am overweight for my height, but I exercise regularly in and out of the gym and eat as well as I can given the circumstances. I'm working on it as hard as I can without professional intervention because, like I said, I can't afford it. It's not like I just sit around eating junk food and not trying and feeling sorry for myself. I used to be forty kilograms overweight, but now I am down to being 15 kilograms overweight and I'm still going strong. I'm quite tall too; I'm 180cm. Genetics plays a small role as well, as I take after my Dad and his big-bodied family with Tongan roots. Honestly though, the eating thing used to be so bad that I wouldn't even eat 2-minute noodles because of the green specks in it, or drink orange juice with pulp, but I've gotten over that thankfully. I want to be normal so badly. You have no idea. Just thought I'd share my story with you guys. Feel free to down vote me.

I have the same problem! I can't even touch fruits or I'll feel sick and the thought of eating them makes me so anxious.

I'm not entirely sure why #13 is being disliked so much... Selective Eating Disorder (SED), or Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID) is as real of a disorder as anorexia or depression. People with it can have as few as under 20 dishes that they can eat, while others more options available to them. Some people can't tolerate certain texture, others can't tolerate certain colors, some people can't stand the smell of certain foods, and it is indeed possible for an entire food group (or more) to fall outside of the person's category of "safe" food. And, if OP DOES have ARFID/SED telling them (or anyone else that lives with the disorder) to become a "less picky eater" is as rude as telling someone with depression that they just need an attitude change or telling someone with cancer that the only reason they aren't better is because they don't want to be better. In other words, even if you mean well, you're kind of being a jerk. And, frankly, would likely make the person also develop a phobia about eating around people if they don't already have it, or worsen a preexisting phobia of it. For people with ARFID/SED, it isn't JUST a matter of being a "picky eater." It's a serious thing that impacts their entire life unless they are luck enough to get the rather intensive AND prolonged therapy needed to help mitigate some of the disorder. Forcing someone with ARFID or SED to eat "non-safe" foods can cause a slew of issues from nausea to vomiting, fever, dry gagging (if the food hasn't been invested but they smell it) and more because their body honestly believes that the "unsafe foods" are POISONOUS- and making them have that reaction will only worsen the disorder. I say this as a person with a relatively minor case of it, in regard to textures and smell, but even then most fruits are a strict no-go for me unless I want to spend the day vomiting. Many people with ARFID/SED would LIKE to change their eating habits, but it really does take some intensive therapy and if not handled correctly can make things worse. Many people with the disorder supplement their health needs with pill forms of vitamins and minerals. So yes, not liking ANY vegetables is entirely possible, is a medically acknowledge condition, and requires time, professional help, and actual support to make progress away from the disorder, and accusing someone with it of simply being a "picky eater" or of just "complaining" is kind of a jerk thing to do. It's a "in someone's head" as depression and anxiety, as in it is how that person's BRAIN works. Also, I have to say - that getting snotty at OP for complaining that they weren't told about their host families eating lifestyle is kind of a dick move, regardless of whether OP has ARFID/SED or not. The family should have asked about food and diet anyway to double check that OP didn't have any special dietary needs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being picky as an adult, and the reasons for it can be anything from mental to physical. Trying to force food on someone is just as wrong as damaging as that logic. Unless vitamins don't exist in Argentina, OP will be fine on nutrition save for finding her meats/ dairy and such. I'm not rich enough to buy all organic or a bunch of veggies and fruits to get enough daily, so i eat what I can and take vitamins. Things you can't get from vitamins you have to actually get from food like your proteins and potassium, fiber and such, but for the most part, they exist in pill form. Plus, it's much easier to know how much daily value you're getting or not getting with a pill rather than portions. If you need to lose weight like me, even better, less calories. Instead of listening to internet doctors OP, let your doctor determine if you have a deficiency. Until my doc says I'm deficient in something with actual blood testing and says to consider changing how I do things, and until i have physical or mental effects I can feel, I feel really great on energy, memory, mood hormones, etc. My picky eating seems to not be allergies and just a mental condition that affects appetite, I can't even force myself. Others forcing it on me makes me just throw my food away and refuse food at all. So I supplement because I actually know my own body and psychology.

polsen4273 8

In this day and age, the internet can sometimes give you more info than the professionals on something like this. I would rry asking Google if he knows any solutions to your problem.

Yes, I've spent many hours scrolling through forums and advice websites. The two main points overall were 1) get over it and just try and shove the food down your throat because it'll be over before you know it and you won't love it until you try it, and 2) take something you *can* eat and try to find something similar in texture or taste and work your way up. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I can't find many tips on how to beat it. Turning around 18 years of eating weirdly might be something that requires professional help. Thank you for your input though :-)

@kenken5, I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem. Just know that you're not alone. I'm sure there is help out there. Stay strong. I felt alone for the longest time and like there was something so wrong with me, and that I was just a failure because I couldn't even eat correctly. I would always have to make the "Oh I'm so full, it's okay" excuse whenever I was asked if I wanted something containing fruit or vegetables. Then they would keep insisting that I eat it and I would get very stressed and anxious because I physically could not eat it, and I didn't know how to explain to someone that my eating habits aren't normal. Then they would get upset with me because I was being "rude" by refusing their food. It was the same in pre-school. I remember 5-year-old me sitting outside in circles with the other kids, eating plates of fruit for morning tea, and me just sitting there in agony waiting for it to be over as I absorbed the weird stares I was receiving for not eating the fruit.

@GhostFox, thank you so much for your explanation. That is my life. You hit the nail on the head. But anyway, best of luck OP! ¡Espero que disfrutes tu viaje a Argentina!

My partner hates vegetables too. It blows my mind that an adult doesn't like vegetables. I personally love them, always have and probably always will. But some people just absolutely hate them.

sohigh10 34

In my experience, if anyone can make vegetables interesting it's the vegetarians..

You still eat all the meat outside. And since you hate all the vegetables, you can kill and eat them all. Maybe do it in a farm to send a message to all the other plants. And chew slowly...

Go for asado. I'm sure you will like it and in many restaurants it's quite cheap.

Get a carnivorous boyfriend to take you out and satisfy your cravings for meat. I'm sure lots of guys would like to do that to you, ..., I mean, for you.

With all the vegetarian exchange students out there, you would think that the exchange student association would do a better job at matching the right student with the right family. Have your parents lodge a complaint to the association with you. Maybe you could swap families with another exchange student in Argentina.

Yeah man, statistics show that half of the people who sign up for student exchange programs are known vegetarians. It's like, come on guys. (and that statistic is obviously true because it was said on the Internet)