By you win again Dr.Google.... you win - 22/10/2018 18:00 - Philippines - Para?aque

Today, one of my younger nephews had an epileptic seizure. My mom started to administer wrong treatments she learned from Google. Being a doctor, I told her she'll make it worse. She then told me to shut up because I'm inexperienced, saying that Google has been there longer than I've been a doctor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 105
You deserved it 179

Top comments

I used to argue with people like that, now I just say "move" loudly and in a commanding voice to make people listen to me. Works most of the times on patients and their relatives.

peithecelt 28

Comments

peithecelt 28

I used to argue with people like that, now I just say "move" loudly and in a commanding voice to make people listen to me. Works most of the times on patients and their relatives.

It doesn't work where I work. Patients and visitors would scream at us because "you don't know the proper medical treatment" and/or "there must be an alternative way to treat this pain without medication!" If we do not listen to their advice, complaints are filed against us because clearly said patients and visitors are medical professionals and not healthcare employees.

I know she's your mom, but I would tell HER to shut up and remind her that YOU have a medical license while she, and Google, do not. If that doesn't phase her, remind her that if anything bad were to happen to your nephew, that it might be YOUR license on the line for not stepping in and allowing her to do bad medicine. (I notice you're in the Philippines and I know family is critically important, but well, I'm assuming your medical license is the reason you're getting paid, too)

I hope your nephew is ok. Being a former paramedic... We would run across people like that... like in one of the comments We would tell them to move and physically move them

I hope you pushed her away and saved your nephew from a wrong treatment. Such an emergency isn't a situation where you can talk for a long time while another person is making the situation worse. You were the medical authority in this situation so you should have acted like an authority no matter whether this other person was your mom or not

Google keeps track of everything on the Internet, including lies and bullshit. WebMD, on the other hand, could have given you a run for your money.

purplemonkey 7

I read all the comments before typing mine and found the general consensus reflecting my own thoughts. Be assertive take charge and protect the patient.

Come on man, we all know that soccer moms who spend 10 minutes on the University of Google and only paying $99/month for access to UG have more knowledge on medical treatments than people who paid about $80,000/year for about 4-6 years to study medicine to become licensed professionals. In all seriousness, your mother is a moron and I hope your cousin isn't permanently harmed from her stupidity.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your mom is a moron. perhaps you should have administered the treatment to your nephew.