By "GumStickExtraGmail" - 26/09/2017 17:33 - United States - Arvada

Today, I told my dad I had depression. He responded with, "Why do all gay people have depression?" I'm not gay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 519
You deserved it 405

GumStickExtraGmail tells us more.

GumStickExtraGmail 22

Hey, OP here. No, he wasn't joking with me. I had just gotten a divorce, and he thought it was because im gay. I'm also female, so my father thought females are more likely to be gay??? idk.

Top comments

Ugh, I know how it is, OP. You get caught sucking /one/ ****, and now it's you-didn't-tell-me-you-were-gay this and if-you-ever-need-to-talk-about-anything that! The nerve of some people…

Sounds like your dad is a little old school? Probably doesn’t like talking about feelings or anything and is the typically “manly” man. Don’t let it get you down, focus on getting treatment for your depression. Good luck!

Comments

SteelSoul5 9

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Sounds like your dad is a little old school? Probably doesn’t like talking about feelings or anything and is the typically “manly” man. Don’t let it get you down, focus on getting treatment for your depression. Good luck!

Ugh, I know how it is, OP. You get caught sucking /one/ ****, and now it's you-didn't-tell-me-you-were-gay this and if-you-ever-need-to-talk-about-anything that! The nerve of some people…

Donut_Wizard 23

The tiny is that the word "gay" used to mean happy of merry. This is the opposite of depressed.

Set him straight, so to speak, by replying, “Because I’m not getting any pussy!” Problem solved, you’re welcome.

samomaha 17

Sorry,. OP, but your dad pulled a double-ass-hat move for assuming you are gay, and for assuming all gays are depressed. So not true on either count! I hope you find a source of counseling for your depression. Good luck!

With all sincerity, I hope you have others in your life that can be a support system. If you're in school, talk to a counselor or school psychologist. They can also guide you to additional resources. If you're in University/college/etc, usually there are psychological services offered. If you're in neither of those, and have income restrictions, many larger towns or counties have low cost psychological services or could point you to some. So, I hope you're able to get the professional help you need, AND have the social support system in place even if you're dad's being a twat.

Lobby_Bee 17

Weed is your solution. Thank me later.

Weed is a nervous system depressant, meaning it would make depression WORSE. If OP also has anxiety, marijuana COULD help with that, but unless they are in a place that has it legally available, they would not be able to get ACTUAL medication and use weed to self medicate at the same time.

Huh? Depression isn't synonymous with being homosexual. Sorry your dad reacted so badly to this! Depression is already hard to deal with and you need as much support as possible from friends and family. Hopefully your father understands what you are going through and can help you and be a little bit more supportive. Otherwise seek someone else. A friend, another relative, professional help. It's nothing to be ashamed of and you should talk about it and get the help you need.

GumStickExtraGmail 22

Hey, OP here. No, he wasn't joking with me. I had just gotten a divorce, and he thought it was because im gay. I'm also female, so my father thought females are more likely to be gay??? idk.