By Anonymous - 24/01/2015 01:17 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I saw selfies of my aunt and her friends on Facebook having a great time. They took the pictures at my mother's funeral last week. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 919
You deserved it 2 421

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's seriously lacking tact and compassion! You should embarass her by commenting under the pics "Thanks for coming to my mums funeral. I see you had a great time" I think those of her friends that aren't self centered airheads will be properly horrified. Sorry for your loss!

Oh my god! I'm so sorry for your loss OP. Personally, I probably would never speak to those ******* idiots ever again. To try and put the spotlight on themselves at your mother's funeral is just completely unacceptable. How disrespectful to not show any remorse.

Comments

I'm sorry for your loss OP. Bad move on your auntie's part.

Bad move doesn't even cover it.. That's so disrespectful and rude, not only the selfies and posting it on Facebook but their sheer lack of concern for the issue at hand. Sorry for your loss OP

I agree #11, I have a habit of understating things.

I guess this proves I have a weird family...at our funerals we're always cracking jokes, telling hilarious stories that involve the deceased (or not), and catching up with out of town friends and family. It's not like we've got a party with a DJ bumping music, but it's generally a good time, which *really* helps with the mourning process.

I have a strong belief that funerals should not mourn the dead but be a celebration of their life and their contributions to our planet. I can't say that is what happened here with your aunt and for that I give you my sympathies. Hopefully you have still been able to grieve but also celebrate all the wonderful things about your mother.

#34, my mum is half Maori so we have what you call a "Tangi" it really is a more to celebrate their life, lots of beer, funny stories of the deceased, laughs, tears and confessions. It's certainly not something that gets posted on facebook though

I agree with 34. Any funeral in my family has had has been more of celebration of their life and it's been nice to catch up with family members and friends we hadn't seen in a long time. Also, at my grandmothers funeral we had been at the wake part all day and my brother and I were constantly making jokes trying to lighten the mood and make my mom smile, which she did. I don't feel that because it's a funeral/wake that people are required to not smile or have any joy at all & are required to be melancholy. I understand that posting the pictures may have seemed callous, however it could've been that your aunts were taking the time as more of a celebration of your mother's life and we're happy to see family & friends they hadn't seen in a long time, in which case during the down time of the day long event they would probably want to capture a picture of the loved ones. I would try not to be offended op. I'm sure they miss their sister horribly and in no way wanted to diminish the loss. People deal with loss in different ways.

Malahkaa 19

If I had been OP that duck would be roasted.

If I had been OP that duck would be roasted.

Sorry something's wrong with my comments. They duplicate and post on the wrong bit. Shit like that.

Aww, that's awful. Just remember that no matter what some idiots do, you did the right thing, and I'm sure your mum would appreciate that.

Oh my god! I'm so sorry for your loss OP. Personally, I probably would never speak to those ******* idiots ever again. To try and put the spotlight on themselves at your mother's funeral is just completely unacceptable. How disrespectful to not show any remorse.

meli1195 31

I would have started by throwing them out of the funeral. a funeral, especially the funeral of a family member, is not a place to act like an idiot

imagineapc 11

It's also not the place to show everyone just how far that stick is shoved up your ass. Absolutely my family takes photos and has a good time at a funeral - we live all over the world and rarely get together.

I completely agree with 50. Funerals to me, are a celebration of life and a time to join together with family & friends that you haven't seen in a long time. Everyone coming together to show support, love, & share good/funny stories & memories of the deceased. I don't feel it's required for people to be melancholy and depressed the whole time. I would not write anyone off for a picture or choosing to find moments of happiness in horrible circumstances. They obviously weren't trying to diminish the loss. Don't forget they lost their sister as well. The aunts came to support each other & other family members during this time of sorrow & one picture doesn't mean they felt the loss any less in my opinion.

That's seriously lacking tact and compassion! You should embarass her by commenting under the pics "Thanks for coming to my mums funeral. I see you had a great time" I think those of her friends that aren't self centered airheads will be properly horrified. Sorry for your loss!

imagineapc 11

Showing disappointment in someone's perceived disrespect is also disrespectful, particularly given that the "offenders" are her older relatives. It's good that OPs family gets along well enough to have a good time, even at a funeral. Life moves on for the living.

51, the statement is written in a way that people who see nothing wrong with their action will not find it disrespectful in any way. It's called diplomacy.

I (& apparently some other commenters) disagree, I feel that a funeral isn't a time for mourning but for a celebration of the life lived. There are many people that choose to look at funerals a different way. Either way, they lost their sister too and I doubt they were trying to diminish the loss in any way.

#51 Of course life moves on, but not at the funeral. Completely insensitive and disrespectful of the grief of others.

I'm sorry for your loss. I would give that aunt a piece of my mind.

Rainb0wdash9 23

I'm sorry for your loss, OP. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss, my condoleances! That's an incredible lack of respect AND humanity! I'm really sorry you had to witness that, instead of getting support from your aunt! I wonder if you'll go to HER funeral when her time comes...

OP probably will, and they'll be sure to take lots of pictures... for documentation purposes.