By Why - 03/09/2015 19:54 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I had to create another signature. I have to use one at the bank and the other around my mother, so that when she tries to cash my paychecks the bank won't let her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 976
You deserved it 1 846

Same thing different taste

Top comments

the bank shouldn't let her anyway. Tell them that every time someone comes in to cash a cheque under your name that they have to take ID. That's part of the reason many banks won't take third party cheques anymore. Also your mother could end up paying a hefty fine/go to jail for her actions.

Comments

Wow OP, that's just messed up that your mom does that kind of crap

bibble27 9

That's messed up and I feel like OP should try to get direct deposit or use the mobile app. That way there aren't any checks for her to try to cash.

A genuine question. Why in America are your wages not paid directly into your account?

Megatron_Griffin 25

#56 most places will give you an option to have your money deposited right into your account, some people just prefere the old fashion way, or may be just too lazy to set up their direct deposit.

Wow, what would be her reason to do such a thing?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Either way, money is obviously the reason, but it is certainly never a valid excuse. FYL OP, I would get the police involved because this sounds like it has happened often enough for you to resort to this...

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

or just get the police involved theft is theft

This goes beyond just theft (as if that wasn't bad enough) and delves into bank fraud territory.

the bank shouldn't let her anyway. Tell them that every time someone comes in to cash a cheque under your name that they have to take ID. That's part of the reason many banks won't take third party cheques anymore. Also your mother could end up paying a hefty fine/go to jail for her actions.

no joke. any bank I've ever gone to- someone could deposit checks for you, but they couldn't cash checks or take money out of your account without the person being there. that's crazy OP. I hope you turned her in to the cops. I know it's your mom but she needs to learn somehow.

Ali_Br_fml 33

Now Chase won't even let you DEPOSIT money into someone else's account even if you have the account and routing numbers...so my sister borrowing money from me and paying me back just got that much harder...And we live an 18 hour car ride away from each other...My mom can't even put money back into my account even with my driver's license, debit card and pin (at a teller) so I don't understand how they actually let the mom get away with cashing OP's checks.

#6401605, you could also use PayPal to transfer money if transferring through Chase is too complicated

I work at a bank and it's very bad when someone tries to go into someone else's account with their debut card... we usually take it away and cut it up and make the owner come and get a new one. if you have the transit and account number you can put money in anyone's account. they just can't know anything about the account.

At chase they will only not let you deposit cash you can transfer money or deposit checks, money orders ect. they don't let you deposit cash because they need a paper trail. you could cash someone else's check if you endorsed under their endorsement at chase only if the 3rd party had a bank account with chase

kellyem2 20

Or see if your employer will set up direct deposit. A lot of employers prefer that because it saves them money.

I'm confused as to what universe you live in. Just transfer the funds electronically!

leogachi 15

Can I possibly purchase tickets to see her reaction when the bank denies her request? I'll pay for the popcorn.

Keep your bank notes in a safe or try moving out if you still love with her. I hope your credit score hasn't suffered from this.

Have you looked into getting your own account and setting up direct deposit? Your mom can't cash the check if there is no check to be had(you would just be getting a stub that tells you what is going into the account after taxes)