By deaddoggy - 02/03/2016 20:46 - New Zealand - Palmerston North

Today, I took my 17 year-old dog, who had been my best friend my entire life right from when I was born, to be euthanised. I had booked in advance. The vet ambled in all spritely and cheerfully asked, "Just here for a checkup, aye?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 070
You deserved it 1 538

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bandit1971 18

That's rough OP. I'm so sorry about your dog. Having to put down someone that close to you is incredibly hard, and having a vet who can't even bother to look into what they're doing is not fair to you.

Steve97 32

So sad maybe that one vet didn't know the situation :/

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Steve97 32

So sad maybe that one vet didn't know the situation :/

If the vet did know, I think it was for the dog. As many argue that our pets understand that something is wrong and they would be depressed or sad worrying about us. He might just be trying to have a cheerier goodbye. Sorry for your loss OP, I'm sure those 17 years were the best you could have given for your dog.

bandit1971 18

That's rough OP. I'm so sorry about your dog. Having to put down someone that close to you is incredibly hard, and having a vet who can't even bother to look into what they're doing is not fair to you.

It is indeed sad, if it were a vet-tech I'd understand. Sometimes the vets forget to tell us what's going on in a room and we end up asking "oh so what are they here for?" All chipper like. It's awkward... And insensitive to the pet owners.

It's also entirely possible someone hit a wrong button or typed/wrote the wrong thing on the schedule. "Exam" and Euthanasia" are alphabetically close to each other on drop down menus. It isn't fair to assume it was laziness or lack of caring; it may well have been an honest mistake. The vet was probably mortified when s/he realized the error.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Sorry, but what does being from New Zealand have to do with anything?

why the hell would you generalize like that? If anything, you're the dick for basically saying that EVERYONE in New Zeland is a dick, and I know for a fact that that is 100% untrue. People like you honestly make me question if you are the dumbest person I've ever met. May god have mercy on your soul.

Yikes, obviously I worded my comment really badly! The question mark at the end was actually an emoji, so the tone of my comment changed. I was just referring to kiwi humor as it is pretty dry like what the vet said. I didn't mean to cause any offense and I'm super sorry to hear about OPs dog, the vet should have been much more sensitive.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

The vet probably just was busy and read the chart wrong. Don't take it personally.

Either that, or the vet didn't read the chart, or whatever brief purpose-of-visit statement is provided on their list. I've been lucky to never have had that problem with a vet, but I did with a human doctor once, someone who was subbing in for my regular doctor. I would have flipped if that had happened when I had to have my 17-year-old cat euthanized (she had an inoperable tumor), and complained to the clinic manager as soon as I was emotionally able to do so.

Op if there was multiple vets, don't take it too hard. If there was only one vet, he must've read the chart wrong.

I'm sorry for your loss, the vet didn't mean anything by it. He could be typing an FML as we speak.3

usnwife 18

So sorry OP. I lost my cat (who was more like a dog, really) last year after having him for 17 years, pets truly are family!