By Margaret - 26/12/2018 02:00

Today, I saw some random iTunes charge on my bank account so I called who I thought was iTunes customer support to figure out the $5 charge, then got scammed into buying $1,400 worth of gift cards. The man on the phone was not with iTunes and took all my money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 106
You deserved it 5 568

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This makes no sense. You called them, there's no way that you got caught by a scammer. There is something that you're not telling us. Why would disputing a charge cause you to buy $1,400 in gift cards?

How the hell did that happen? There must have been some way of knowing the number you called was the right one. Not only that, but you had to give consent to authorize the transaction for the gift cards, so even before you realized the guy you were speaking to wasn't with iTunes' customer support (which I'm still confused about, as you called them), you gave the information necessary for them to remove $1,400 from your account, which is a lot of money to agree to spend on gift cards, scam or not.

Comments

This makes no sense. You called them, there's no way that you got caught by a scammer. There is something that you're not telling us. Why would disputing a charge cause you to buy $1,400 in gift cards?

How the hell did that happen? There must have been some way of knowing the number you called was the right one. Not only that, but you had to give consent to authorize the transaction for the gift cards, so even before you realized the guy you were speaking to wasn't with iTunes' customer support (which I'm still confused about, as you called them), you gave the information necessary for them to remove $1,400 from your account, which is a lot of money to agree to spend on gift cards, scam or not.

PenguinPal3017 19

Now that's what I call a scammy situation!

bass_ftp 12

Just guessing here, but sometimes I also get scam emails from ‘Apple’ with iTunes charges that I know didn’t actually happen. If you’re gullible enough you might click on them, go to some website with the ‘iTunes’ phone number of the scammer and then get tricked out of actual money.

julfunky 29

That’s what I thought but when she says “random iTunes charge on my bank account” it sounds like she saw her statement rather than an email. But an email definitely makes this FML make much more sense.

ohsnapword 21

I can help you get your money back. Just send me $100 in Amazon gift cards...

Ah, Your Majesty. It is good to see you again. I hope you and your fellow Nigerians had a wonderful Christmas.

ohsnapword 21

It was wonderful, thank you! Now, I have all this money I need to get rid of. If someone can just cover the transfer fees...

I'm sure there are plenty of lonely, middle-aged people out there who would be willing to help you. Just make sure your emails to them sound sincere.

CFSH01 11

Wasn't there a study that showed there were actually a fair amount of emails that were absurd by design, so that only the most gullible people would reply?

Just send me some money first to offset the currency conversion fee I'll be hit with and I'll help you out bro :-)

GUYMAINE 16

send me a msg i can help you out. Just one quick payment for my services, need details over phone

404wan 19

this is bullshit. you called them so it's not a scammer, it's customer support. either you are a liar or you are incredibly stupid and let yourself be seduced into buying 1400 dollars worth of gift cards. now you regret it and cry "scammer". this would not happen to anyone with half a brain.

onceuponatime456 16

I do not believe one word of your post!

You guys should look up Ownage Pranks, he just posted a video couple days ago pranking these scammers. It's the holiday season, this kinda stuff happens even more these days.

tounces7 27

There's literally no circumstances that I can figure out how this happened. If they already had your credit card info to make the $5 charge, then they could have easily made it for far more in the first place. So even assuming you called the number associated with the charge on your statement, this wouldn't make sense. Secondly, banks will reverse transactions that are made unauthorized if you report it within 48 hours. So the only possible conclusion here is that you actually did authorize the transaction.