By Anonymous - 02/10/2017 04:00 - Australia

Today, I accidentally sent highly confidential patient records to a fired employee. This employee made the biggest song and dance about it, calling every boss possible. I couldn't have sent it to a better person. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 183
You deserved it 3 306

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I know you are being sarcastic, but the ex-employee is doing exactly what he should do. Sending out confidential patient files could get your employer sued for millions of dollars, not to mention the damage those files being in the wild could to to the patient. If your employer just fires you, you're getting off easy.

ohsnapword 21

There has to be more to this. Either you sent the email to the fired employee's personal email or the fired employee still has access to their company email.

Comments

I know you are being sarcastic, but the ex-employee is doing exactly what he should do. Sending out confidential patient files could get your employer sued for millions of dollars, not to mention the damage those files being in the wild could to to the patient. If your employer just fires you, you're getting off easy.

ohsnapword 21

There has to be more to this. Either you sent the email to the fired employee's personal email or the fired employee still has access to their company email.

Yeah there's something wrong here. The fired employees email should have been removed, and/or access to it should have been changed. Unless you sent it to his personal email, IT also has some explaining to do, especially if this 'fired employee' was still listed in a group of contacts pertaining to your information.

I work in healthcare and I have noticed it takes some time for old e-mail addresses to be deleted, whether it be an account of someone who was fired or quitted on their own. There have been times where it takes about a month or more for them to be deleted, but even then, the account should not be accessible. I was working at another healthcare facility before (on contract, to which I quit before it ended since a better position was offered at my current one) and after a day or two of leaving, I was no longer able to access my e-mail account.

Everyone makes mistakes. I’m sure they’ll understand. I mean, what harm could come from sharing highly confidential data with a disgruntled ex-employee? Relax.

How do you "accidentally" **** up that badly?

It is pretty easy to accidentally send the email to the wrong person. Everyone makes mistakes, most of the time we are lucky and the consequences are not bad so we forget about it.

17uc17 3

I would double check and triple check that I had the right email. No excuse.

How did this happen? You'll likely be fired.

This makes me laugh. Not only did you leak confidential files, you whinge about the person they were sent to. Lucky she was a nurse and was professional enough to let you know. Imagine the damage you could've done if it was a general member of the public. I hope management abused you because you didn't lose your job.

You ****** up big time. While I feel bad for you, you can't really shift the blame off yourself for that big of a screwup, and the other guy did do exactly what he should do. Sorry regardless.

Confidential\HIPPA information is usually only permitted on secure servers. If you sent them to someone not on the server, you had to INTENTIONALLY violate protocol. That's not just a screw-up--you very much broke rules on purpose. You completely deserve it.