By Anonymous - 08/11/2017 13:00 - United States

Today, during the birth of my first child, my epidural didn't work. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 166
You deserved it 475

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Donut_Wizard 23

If this was your first child, how do you know it didn't work? The point of an epidural is to reduce the pain, not remove it entirely. I'm sure the medical staff told you this at some point.

I just love how people are giving you no sympathy (not an fml) or what did you expect? I was in labor 4 Days (no that isn’t a typo) & the epidural I finally got only worked on half my body till I went to surgery. Everyone is not the same! Just because you experience a wonderful labor with kittens & rainbows all around, doesn’t mean everyone else will. Be sympathetic/understanding. Life has a funny way of teaching you lessons otherwise. Shalom!

Comments

Donut_Wizard 23

If this was your first child, how do you know it didn't work? The point of an epidural is to reduce the pain, not remove it entirely. I'm sure the medical staff told you this at some point.

tacosaurus121314 6

trust me, if it worked, she would know. epidurals are strong. when i gave birth to my son, i didn't feel any pain at all. i was still able to slowly move my legs, but nothing hurt. i ended up with a second degree tear and didn't feel it at all when it happened

exileonmainst 16

How can you bring a child into a sick, depraved world where people destroy cakes?

EarthsMightiestHeroes 20

Epidurals are designed to limit pain, not eradicate it. Women experience pain on different levels; sometimes childbirth is pretty easy and painless, but mostly it is a very excruciating experience. Since this is your first child, not only are you not used to the pain of childbirth, but you also seem really uneducated when it came down to the moment of your baby's birth. You always have to expect that something won't go right, but if you were one of the "lucky" few that epidurals don't work at all, then yeah, your life sucks.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

How does a shitty experience being common make it less shitty?

Lobby_Bee 17

If it's your first child birth, how did you know it didn't work? You got no benchmark. It could be ten times worse without it, but you wouldn't know.

Pretty sure she’d know. Pushing a tiny human out of a 10cm hole is not a pain free experience. I’ve been unlucky enough to go epidural free twice.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

okay but you came out of it with a baby soooo

99.99% sure you're probably wrong. Just because you don't think it didn't work, doesn't mean it didnt. With my epidurals, I could still move my legs and all that jazz, and could still tell when I had to push....but it definitely did cut down on the contraction pain. Epidural with the first 2, 100% pain med free the last 2.

mine didn't either with any of my three kids. it sucks but we get through it!!