This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By HolidayForOne - 14/03/2017 12:00

Today, after months of saving up and planning with his office and friends, I told my boyfriend of 5 years that I'd booked us a surprise holiday to Berlin, as he's always wanted to go. His response was to tell me there's no way he could go because there's a new video game out the week before. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 013
You deserved it 683

Top comments

I'm a gamer so I understand wanting to play a game a lot right after release, but he's acting like the game isn't going to still be there when he gets back. It's not like it's going to disappear if he doesn't play it.

lukcy_basartd 11

If he pre-ordered something he'll still be able to swoop it up, just not on the launch date. It's a funny response, nothing more! BTW, seriously a thoughtful surprise..you're definitely a prize to keep.

Comments

lukcy_basartd 11

If he pre-ordered something he'll still be able to swoop it up, just not on the launch date. It's a funny response, nothing more! BTW, seriously a thoughtful surprise..you're definitely a prize to keep.

zeffra13 31

The launch is the week before, so he can get it on time. Even play it a few days before leaving.

lukcy_basartd 11

If he pre-ordered something he'll still be able to swoop it up, just not on the launch date. It's a funny response, nothing more! BTW, seriously a thoughtful surprise..you're definitely a prize to keep.

Bird_royal 1

Ass ? Ditch him come by yourself I'm from Berlin I'll show you around and we have a girls night out ?❤??

That_Fucking_Furry 12

now tbh that cinda a dick move there

Think of the revenge you could take from Berlin.

I'm a gamer so I understand wanting to play a game a lot right after release, but he's acting like the game isn't going to still be there when he gets back. It's not like it's going to disappear if he doesn't play it.

I left for a much anticipated trip to Korea and Japan the morning after the Wrath of the Lich King launch. I played from server reboot up till I had to leave for the airport. Then I slept on the plane and played some more when I got back. If he's really incapable of going on a trip then he's either not really interested or he's got a series addiction and should get help.

Some times red flags come up much later in the relationship

xcllla_ 27

It looks like you are dating a 12 year old.

I feel like there are two sides to this. Since the trip is likely non-refundable and you've obviously put a lot of time and money putting it together, he should be able to try and enjoy Berlin now and concede to playing the game when he returns. It would be the polite thing to do. But on the other hand, I feel like a surprise international trip puts a lot of pressure on a person. Not to sound ungrateful, but there's a lot to prepare for. It's not like you're just going up the road to a new restaurant! Passports, packing, schedule conflicts, language barriers (for some people), sightseeing preferences, etc. And did you arrange with his office to use his vacation time? Five years or not, but I'd be pissed if my boyfriend trounced around doing something like this without my knowledge! But good luck to the both of you.

You would be pissed if your boyfriend surprised you with your dream vacation? Because you know...packing and passports are a lot of trouble? Sorry but you do sound extremely ungrateful. Even more so than the OP and I wouldn't have even thought that was possible.

Uh, yeah? I would be mad if my boyfriend scheduled my vacation time for me. It's something I earned and I want to be part of the decision of when and how I use it. But then again, we treat our relationship as a partnership. Neither one of us likes surprises, sneaking around, etc. And looky here, this one snuck around planning behind his back and guess what? Didn't work out so hot. :)

Yeah...but she planned it FOR him. It's somewhere he has apparently always wanted to go. It wasn't just some selfish, thoughtless trip she decided to try and drag him along on. And the reason it didn't work out so hot is a pretty insensitive, childish and stupid one.

LynnFlores04 6

I mean it depends on the situation, if he already has a passport and such it shouldn't be a big deal. Also, a dream vacation would be a good way to spend your vacation days honestly. She planned something she knew her BF wanted to do, and instead of any of those "excuses" to not go he said he wanted to play a game instead.

Tell him it'll be there when he gets back. Ungrateful b/f you have... Hopefully he had a change of heart.