By asparagus piss - 19/10/2012 17:05 - United States - Tifton

Today, after having loaned my girlfriend money after she claimed to be broke and unable to pay her rent and electricity bills, she went out, spent it all on a new purse and phone, and now refuses to pay me back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 769
You deserved it 6 609

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, she can keep all her stuff in her purse and text you whining until her battery dies while she's living on the street.

Comments

Well she should pay you back. If not break up with her or sue her. You can sue for that. Good luck OP !

omg sue sue yes sue murica hell yeah sue her no, but really. now she's gonna get kicked out for being stupid. after such happens, I'd break up with her.

1: Breaking up with her is good advice, especially if she's irresponsible with money and willing to lie to the OP about it. That's bad news for any future relationship with her.

If it was his money can't he just take the purse and phones cause he paid for it.

unknown_user5566 26

No lawyer in their right mind would take on a case like this. Lawyer: What can I do for you? OP: I want to sue my girlfriend for stealing my money. Lawyer: So, did she break into your home and take it? Commit check or bank fraud? Identity theft? OP: No, I gave it to her for bills, and the bitch used it for recreational purposes. Lawyer: .... GTFO.

unknown_user5566 26

34- I'm fairly certain if nothing was actually signed, the courts won't consider it an actual "loan". It would be a he-said, she-said battle. Also... TV is TV. It doesn't always translate to real life.

I've watched an episode of Judge Judy and she went insane when she found out no one had signed a contract, and no one had made receipts of payments.

Kleekay is right, If there is no contract, it is NOT a loan. Without one, there is no proof that the money was ever given to the gf. And to sue, it would take months of court dates etc, a small fortune in legal bills and in this instance, next to a 0% chance of success. Even if she admitted to not using the money for it's intended purpose, without a contract stating she MUST use it for bills and MUST pay it back to OP with the gf's signature at the bottom she is not breaking the law. OP gave her the money willingly and was not forced to In any way shape or form. It would be like suing a hobo because you gave him money for food and he spent it on booze. Americans and their suing.....

I hate to break it to all you guys, but court shows are real just like unicorns an leprechauns

You know, a lawsuit sounds like a little too much... Just siphon the gas out of her car.

X_Codes 11

@71 - Yes, Americans just sue the shit out of people for no reason whatsoever. Like people welching on their personal debts. That's totally not a reason to sue. Also, for claims less than a few thousand dollars, it's pretty typical to not retain counsel. The law behind almost all transactions involving such a small amount of money is pretty straightforward and intuitive. As such, legal fees are not nearly as much as they would be for any sort of criminal case or complex fraud case. Anyway, if I were in this situation, I probably wouldn't sue or break up with her. I'd refrain from any and all financial dealings with her until I got paid back, of course, but mostly I would just be patient and see what happens.

All the comments can be summarized into a song that goes "My friend has a girl friend and he hates that bitch, he tells me every day. She wants more dinero just to stay at home, well my friend, ya gotta say... I won't pay, I won't ..."

Bekeliyr 10

LOL AT THE PEOPLE WATCHING JUDGE JUDY. You actually think it compares to real life?

tearsXwillXfall 2

She's your gf that's what your supposed to do...

betseyville 6

You don't need a written contract for it to be valid. Oral contracts can hold up in court.

Plus, if you watch that many court shows, you need to get a life....

My first comment was directed to #109. Forgot to add that.

GoodLookingGeese 10

In Soviet Russia girlfriends sue you for not giving the money on phone and new purse ;)

byEyecandy 10

Im sorry the look on Spongebobs face is perfect for that comment

you_failed 15

I bet OP used a similar phrase as 2's profile pic...

DarkHelmet 10

Make her pay it back in the bedroom....GIGGITY!!

UncleMuscles 5

The only way for a bitch to learn is to be shamed in basketball.

On to the next one on-on to the next one Lol

Bitch must learn to be disciplined with her finances, specially when it's with someone else's money. Dump her!

TheDrifter 23

She might be disciplined with her own money. I'll bet she can make rent now that OP provided that grand she needed for a new bag and phone.

Nah he shouldn't dump her! Like perdix recently said "For some couples, fighting is foreplay." Lol

Well, she can keep all her stuff in her purse and text you whining until her battery dies while she's living on the street.

As far as I'm concerned, that's basically stealing. You agreed to give her money under certain conditions. That is, unless you gave her the money first and suggested she spend it wisely afterward...

I think that's kinda why OP's pissed....

Actually from watching judge judy the op can't do that. If you give someone a loan and they don't spend it on what you wanted them to its not your concern so long as they pay you back.

#118 that's the point of the fml... she won't pay him back.

I'd say its quite safe to assume your girlfriend won't be getting any more loans from you.

Yes, money does ruin relationships. It's best never to lend money. Something similar to this happen to my mother. Her so called 'friend' stopped talking to her, ignores her calls will not answer her door when clearly she's there.. It's terrible how there are people who value money over friendships

Do not marry this woman. She will bleed you dry your whole life. My mother has a shopping addiction and I've heard this spiel time and time again. Even 20 years after my parents divorced she still hounds him for money for rent etc.. and spends it on shoes and pillows and pictures.