By Anonymous - 06/12/2018 21:00 - United Kingdom - Glasgow

Today, when I went to my gp for an annual check up, I was complaining to the nurse about my chronically sore ankle. Turns out it has been fractured for 8 years. When I was 11 I was playing in my grans garden and went over on it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 657
You deserved it 294

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kids have a lot of adrenaline, especially while playing. I'm not surprised you didn't notice at the time, but I do wonder why it's taken you 8 years to mention how much your ankle hurts. Or did it take 8 years for a competent doctor to X-ray it?

That’s the British “stiff upper lip” for you! 8 years on a broken ankle before you finally complain? That’s what makes you such tough mofos!

Comments

Kids have a lot of adrenaline, especially while playing. I'm not surprised you didn't notice at the time, but I do wonder why it's taken you 8 years to mention how much your ankle hurts. Or did it take 8 years for a competent doctor to X-ray it?

julfunky 29

I’m assuming after a doctor told them it was nothing to worry about they didn’t follow up. That happened to me when I was about 11 years old, but unlike OP we went to several doctors until we found one willing to X-ray. Found 3 fractures.

GreenReaper 13

I've had issues with pretty much every joint I have for years, and no doctor has ever paid much attention (probably because I didn't yell and scream when it happened). I probably have some major undiagnosed issues too. Doesn't help that I have a bit of anxiety and worry about being considered a hypochondriac for complaining about everything hurting (knee since 7th grade when I jumped off the top of the bleachers during gym and landed awkwardly, wrist since 9th grade history class when I had to write excessive amounts of notes absurdly fast every day and strained it, hip since falling off a horse and landing on it, etc)

That’s the British “stiff upper lip” for you! 8 years on a broken ankle before you finally complain? That’s what makes you such tough mofos!

how....in the ****.....does a fracture last that long

childlessmother 16

It continued to crack due to lack of rest? Hell good question

they do not 'last that long' it's that the bone fuses in the incorrect fractured position it was left in. It doesn't have to be grossly displaced to cause pain and misery

That is some high tolerance you have there, OP! I broke an ankle back in eighth grade, but brushed it off as a sprain despite all the limping. It wasn't until I went home when my mom took me to the ED (after yelling at me on how bruised it was). I was in a cast and crutches for a couple of weeks.

bl3ur0z3 17

My mom went to the dr for her carpal tunnel, found out her first had been broken for 30 years. Ended up having surgery.

It’s not uncommon. I did about 5 years on a broken metatarsal. And it’s easy to miss if the doctor is looking for cracks and not the subtle results of remodeling.

writergirl1029 17

Something like this almost happened to me. I had a bike accident that an x-ray showed as a hairline fracture. My mom (who is a nurse) was suspicious of that diagnosis and got me in for a CT, and it turned out it was actually radial dysplasia. I had to have surgery and if I hadn’t, my wrist would have healed at the wrong angle and led to chronic pain.

Bone will not stay fractured for 11 years, either it will connect with other bone or deform...u a liar!!