By betterpianist - 29/11/2016 21:04 - United States

Today, the girl I've liked for over a year, broke up with me after just 2 weeks of dating, all because I'm a better pianist then her. I've been playing since I was 8. She's been playing for 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 440
You deserved it 759

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's better that this happened early on. Now you can avoid devoting so much time to someone who would let a good thing go over something so childish.

If she is that shallow, you're probably better off.

Comments

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's better that this happened early on. Now you can avoid devoting so much time to someone who would let a good thing go over something so childish.

That's odd. Usually girls go for a good pianist!

If she's willing to break up with you over that fact, then she isn't worth your time. If it were me, I'd be eager to learn new things and improve.

If she is that shallow, you're probably better off.

Sounds like she just wanted out and was looking for an excuse... sometimes seeming like a bitch, is the best way out. Depending on the dude you're dating.

Yeah! If she can't swallow, you're probably better off.

JMichael 25

I'm gonna go ahead and say it seems she was just looking for an excuse to break up. Especially with one as ridiculous as that.

But isn't 2 weeks a little before the break up excuse period?

JMichael 25

Shit I've been so far out of the dating scene idk what it is anymore.

I've been so far out of it I've never been in it. But it just seems to me like just dating someone for only 2 weeks you wouldn't care about trying to make up reasons. But who knows, people are crazy.

not necessarily. Not everyone is sane. I went out with a guy for 10 days, he was so overbearing and wouldn't accept the break up, it took me 40-ish days to get rid of him, he was stalking me, so was his cousin. I eventually called his mum, told her that if she doesn't pull back her son, i'm going to the police. That worked.

I mean it doesn't matter how long you're dating someone, breaking up isn't a fun thing, and if she was especially uncomfortable with it an excuse is definitely expected.

cootiequeen4444 11

I think someone has to be either really dense or extremely socially inept to think breaking up with someone over a petty, conceited, and shallow reason is better than just flat out telling someone you are just not feeling it and want out. That does have to be done in a mean or accusatory way either. A lack of a spark does mean something is wrong the suitor. You can't just force love to happen. And I'd rather have someone mad at me for not giving the a "real chance" than for word to go around I broke up with a guy because he was better at me in something, and better for a good reason to. I mean. Look at all the comments regarding how this makes the girl seem... IDK. I've just seen this ' looking for an excuse' reason used before on FMLs and I can't for the life of me rationalize why finding an excuse that makes me look bad would be better than telling the person things just aren't clicking. Either way it's breaking up with someone and is gonna be awkward, so I'd figure people would go with the lesser evil of the choices buy apparently not?

I also can't help but wonder if by "better pianist" OP means "wouldn't let her practice without unsolicited advice/showing off." If not ths or an attempt at an excuse then this girl is pretty ridiculous .

#18, I had a similar experience, except we dated for less than a week. He was super creepy, wouldn't stop talking about his sexual fantasies, a TERRIBLE kisser, and honestly he was just a rebound since I had just broken up with my boyfriend of one year. He did not take it well, he kept trying to ask me if we could get back together, and he would text me weeks after. Now its been almost 5 years since then and I realized he goes to my college, and I feel like I been seeing him everywhere recently..

That's a little weird for a relationship to end over a piano lesson. Well good luck Op

We don't know the whole story, but maybe it wasn't about that, but your attitude about it..?

If you guys are young and you'll both end up competing for the same music scholarships, I can see why she wouldn't want to risk getting invested in a relationship that will probably turn contentious, resentful and bitter from rivalry. But aside from that very, very specific situation (which is probably a stretch), it's more likely she's an egomaniac you're better off without.

I been playing piano since I was 8 too (and I'm 20 now) while my boyfriend's brother has only taken one class, only been playing for a year, and he's already much better than me... it kinda annoys the crap outta me.. At least my actual boyfriend knows nothing about playing any instrument so I can still show off to him lol :)

khadishja 12

you will be better off anyway. that is just too childish