By damnthedog - 19/01/2013 07:40 - Australia - Wollongong

Today, I found out that my home-made pasta sauce had a weird taste to it because my basil patch in the backyard has become my dog's preferred spot to pee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 282
You deserved it 7 354

Same thing different taste

Comments

Yes. We should just take everyone in town and push it somewhere else. -Patrick Star

They sell "pee sticks" at many pet stores for situations like this. The stick smells like dog pee and attracts dogs to pee there so they don't pee on plants. It would be a cheap, worthwhile investment.

17 - Urine soaks INTO things. I still wouldn't trust the basil all that much

One can not just simply move a basil patch

13 - I actually didn't know that!! Thanks for the tip! :D

13-this may not be entirely true. although the urine would go into the plants system, the plant can use processes like respiration (using glucose) that would change the way the urine would taste/ even exist inside the plant. if you water a plant with soda, the plant will not taste like soda once you wash it off. My bet is OP didn't wash the basil.

but urine does contain glucose in it so it would change it's chemical properties by having it used... And if the plant can't use any of it ( which is more or less what I said) it wouldn't affect the way it tasted on the inside...

Actually it is broken down to its constituents, such as nitrogen, and used by the plant. Uric acid decomposes quickly. Human waste is used as fertilizer, but usually in poorer areas where choice isnt really an option; it's the risk of human pathogens in human feces. Op forgot to thoroughly wash the basil.

You read this comment thinking I would give a counter example to the argument above me, but it is actually about pandas, cuz who the **** doesn't love pandas.

So, we don't use human shit for fertilizer... but animal shit is still okay? I don't really see the difference.

@70, it's very simple. Fertilizer comes from farms, typically pig/cow farms. The dung gets collected into a pool and can then be sprayed onto the field. Human faeces go into the sewers and mix with whatever we flush down there. People flush down diapers, make-up, toilet paper, soap, various chemicals from showers, makeup removal, washing machines etc. Most sewers also connect with the road network's drains, making various heavy metals go down into the same system as the potential fertilizer every time it rains. This means we'd have to purify the sewage before we could even consider using it for fertilizing plants. Human faeces and animal faeces are both used as fertilizer in fields. It's also fairly common for our compost to be turned into fertilizer as well. All farms handle their disposal of animal bi-products their own way, some cheap out and don't store it in tanks but rather dump it directly in nature or something else. But typically they should keep it in pools and basins until they can do something with it.

lemonademixer 7

Now that we're done talking about ******* science...

Quality counter argument. Really like the part where you did not counter his argument.

You have a dog, you have a yard, dog pees and ***** in the yard. Should've seen this coming.

You need to plant your basil in a pot or otherwise inaccessible place and/or thoroughly wash it before putting it anywhere near food.

Some people use love as their special ingredient. You use dog pee. You're just innovating the pasta world!

You should always wash it when it's came from the ground... And maybe bleach your tongue now.

WatsonIsThatDood 6

Doesn't matter. The plant ingests the soil around it. So the urine seeps through the soil and is ingested by the basil

I think your dog was just sharing the love.

oj101 33

Your dog has certainly made its mark in and outside the home.

oj101 33

Don't worry too much. The bacteria will be sterilized if the pasta sauce is heated above 78 degrees when cooked. Still a little gross though.