By bummed and broke - 13/11/2012 18:24 - United States

Today, I bought an $80, "invincible" phone case. One test drop later, my phone had turned into an expensive paperweight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 857
You deserved it 34 990

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Reminds me of when I was 6 and I snapped a 'shatterproof' ruler...

Comments

get silicon/rubber cases they absorb more of the impact. bet it was a crappy hard case.

He needs to tie the phone onto a rope around his neck.

fylx100 19

Who would test drop a case with an expensive phone in it? OP deserved it.

I'm assuming OP is talking about Lifeproof cases. They're water, dirt, mud, etc. resistant. Otterboxes are the drop proof cases.

oj101 33

Nokias are what I'd line my nuclear bomb/zombie apocypse shelter with. Also make weapons out of.

Damn OP you definitely deserve this one. Why would anyone purposely drop their expensive phone? Especially to test out a"so called "invincible" case. That's just stupid and kinda asking for it in a way. You're suppose to buy a case to protect your phone in case you accidentally drop it. You don't buy a case so that you can drop your phone and "see" if the case works. See the logic here? Well, you better hope you purchased the warranty or insurance because you're definitely going to need to make a claim. Unless they aren't willing to cover stupidity! Lol

They can't prove op did it on purpose unless the insurance is thru the same place op bought the case (example bestbuy.) Otherwise they won't even know who to ask and will prbably accept "it was an accident."

Life proof is drop proof as well. I have one and have dropped it plenty of times (never on purpose of course though)...

Technically even if it doesn't break, it can still be an expensive paperweight

My silicone cases have protected my phones and iPod touch for years. Plastic cases don't protect from drops, only scratches IMO. My iPod has been dropped plenty of times in the last 3 years, all on to hard flooring, in this case, and its fine. No chips no cracks nothing. Not willing to let my s3 go near the ground though lol.

I'm guessing OP was drop tested when he/she was a baby.

muldrowe 6

I've dropped my life proof case daily ever since the 4S came out, I was originally a fan of the Otterbox, but it seemed like it was made with cheaper materials this time around. I opted for underwater photography, my girlfriend and I have had some fun. Totally worth the investment haha

130 I'm not gonna lie I originally read that as "underwater pornography."

I have the lifeproof case, I bought it because I need something like that.. I've dropped my phone so many times and not one crack. When my phone is dirty, or has anything I just wash it under the tap. I love the lifeproof.

How about we just don't break the phones we are lucky to even have the technology for? Just because someone tells me my car has the highest crash safety does not mean I'm going to go "test crash" it to make sure.

This reminds me of the video on youtube where the guy tested a bullet proof iPhone case by shooting it with a .50 cal rifle. It survived the bullet but the screen got busted on the rock it landed on afterwards lol

decidedlyvague 11

You think "invincible" and drop it? I think "invincible" and shoot it.

free2speak 14

Don't mean to distract from the conversation but why buy a life proof case when you can just spend that $100 to buy AppleCare that covers for water damage? I've heard life proof cases are not completely water proof and some defective cases have caused people's iPhone to stop working. And they do tend to wear out over time, needing frequent replacement. And if you damage your phone, they only replace the cover not the phone. I can't even imagine taking my iPhone 5 anywhere near water! But it's also because its my first iPhone and I'm too broke as a college student to afford another one.

132- I didn't read it that way, but I am definitely reading into it that that is what 130 was eluding to...bow chicka wow wow.

The case is dumbass proof, the phone isn't.

Reminds me of when I was 6 and I snapped a 'shatterproof' ruler...

Did it snap or did it shatter into little pieces? I think by shatter-proof it just means it doesn't fragment.

perdix 29

Reminds me of the time when I showed off how bendable my Flexon glasses frames were. They seemed to forget they were made of shape-memory alloy and snapped. But, cut me some slack, I was only 35 at the time.

I'll upload to instagram when I: A) get an instagram B) get a new nokia to break C) get off my lazy ass.

peanutfoo 19
Inheritance 10

I prefer those 'flexible' rulers. They are more fun to play with AND don't break!

You should check for a warranty because they are supposed to cover for your phones payment if it breaks in the case

ALyte 15

Not true. I don't know of any phone case that warranties the phone - just the case.

I imagine the warranty says "We are not responsible for broken phones". Lol

umm actually otter box warrentys against "phisical dammage during use of our product" which means they replace your phone if you drop it with the case on (fyi if you think im makeing this up my friends dad dropped his phone from the wing of a bowing 747 (he works on them for a living) straight rock to screen and they replaced it for him)

CharresBarkrey 15

48 - It says directly on the Otterbox website that it does not warrant and is not responsible for phones, only the cases. Don't believe everything you hear.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think Otterbox will replace your phone.

Rancor 5

Because otterbox doesn't want rumors that their product isn't what they claim.

hpbrocster7 3
hpbrocster7 3

Boeing is the name of the plane manufacturer. You spelled bowing

JustPassin 4

48, I own an otter box and no where in any papers does it say it will replace my iPhone if it breaks in their case. Without even looking its common sense to know that no phone case company anywhere will replace a broken phone, because anyone can crack a screen then just stick it in the case and say it happened in the case.

48 that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard if they replaced your phone when it broke in there case every Tom dick and Harry would just buy a 20$ case when they brake there phone and say it broke while it was in the case there is no way to prove it. don't believe everything you hear.

Actually there is a company out of Pittsburgh pa that makes phone cases the cover the phone if they break I just can't remember the name of the company

CharresBarkrey 15

170 - That is a name of a company that will not last very long. It's incredibly hard to prove that the case was ON the phone when it was broken, and I suspect they're shelling out money to people who have figured that out.

Boeing 747. If your dad works on them, learn to spell the company's name.

I don't think I would have test dropped the case with my phone in... Well, now you know not to try it again.

Well drop my phone and call me Shlo-mo! I think it's ok, as long as he got the message now.

I would just wait till I accidentally drop it. It's bound to happen anyways.

Herp derp, don't drop it in the first place, even if it's just a test.

Well if you could simply never drop it, there would be no need for a case at all.

Well if you could simply never drop it, there would be no need for a case at all.

I'm not sure why it shows I posted twice, sorry guys.

So you decided to fill the thread with even more crap?

CharresBarkrey 15

152 - The pot's kind of calling the kettle black, there, huh?

CreepInTheCorner 11

You dropped your phone on purpose..? Hmm, seems like a smart idea, eh?

But the phone case is still ok, isn't it? What a great case!

Exactly! The phone's not invincible, just the case it was in. OP totally got their money's worth.

Every time i see your pro pic i want to punch that smirk off your face...

Well that escalated quickly. Luckily for me I just bought an invincible smirk for 80 dollars at totallylegit.com

X_Codes 11

@54 - That's twice in one FML that you beat me to the punch.

Well #66, I'm starting to get tipsy from it, so from now on the punch is all yours *hick*

Oh man, I think I'm falling slightly in love with pleonasm

117- Who isn't? His wit is beyond comprehension.

JimSweatshirt 6

Why would you even attempt a "test drop"? You definitely aren't supposed to drop tem much less toss them like an Olympic discus thrower.

Even if the case was invincible it may only be for the first drop, like a crash helmet, so 'testing' it was a pretty dumb idea all round.

We are not suppose to? *Gently puts down phone and backs away*

85 When I read your comment I had to laugh. You say and I quote "Even if the case was invincible it may only be for the first drop................pretty dumb idea all round." (I cut out a little bit in the middle). Now correct if I'm wrong but if something is invincible, wouldn't it be invincible more than once? Longer than only one time? How could something be invincible only once? You probably couldn't and shouldn't be calling that invincible if it can't be longer than one drop. Am I wrong here? Anyways, I just thought your comment was pretty dumb comment all round. Oh and by the way OP, you definitely deserve it and hope you learned your lesson. Remember, break it once "shame on them", break it twice "shame on you"! I know I'm probably going to get thumbed down so I'm ready. * Fingers crossed* Have a nice day anyway! ;)

They make everything shit these days to save on money.

Not to mention the fact that people will buy new things to replace the broken ones. If they worked perfectly and never broke, businesses would actually lose money.

unknown_user5566 26

13- I doubt the company makes a shitty case on purpose- I think they just expect their customers to have an IQ higher than a rock.

No but they factor in its low durability, so that people will eventually have to purchase another!

It's our society now. In the 50's if your watch broke, you fix it. Today if your watch breaks, it gets replaced.

People who spend 80$ on a product that should work.

What if OP dropped it on a rock? Or from really high. You should still never drop your phone on purpose. Even if it was in bubble wrap.