By Anonymous - 24/02/2016 20:35 - Philippines - Las Pi?as City

Today, at preschool, I got to meet the mother of my daughter's best friend. She complimented mine's grades, and noted her quirkiness. I complimented her's for being congenial and being well-rounded. Later, my daughter said they are no longer besties because her mom said I called her daughter fat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 713
You deserved it 1 673

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Even if someone were to insult my child, there is no way in hell I would tell my child the insult. Why would the mom even do that? Oh wait, I know the answer. Because she is stupid enough to mistaken well-rounded for fat. Goodness.

You should probably talk to her mother to clear things out. This misunderstanding shouldn't get in the way of your daughter's friendship. :)

Comments

Yeah maybe you shouldn't have said "well rounded", people take offense to anything.

They're in the Philippines. Most of them are Bilingual speaking Tagalog and English. I'm guessing the other mothers English wasn't up on the term well rounded. Also not a lot of blondes there.

If someone is stupid enough to think well rounded means fat, then you should be happy that your kid isnt associated with them anymore.

Being half Filipino myself, i can agree with this. Though my mother is very understanding of the english language, other members of our family I am usually stuck with explaining the meaning of words when they get butthurt. Btw, Filipinos do love to gossip. Everytime my mom was involved with drama we'd always hear the story, how the other person is a traitor and how we are no longer allowed to be friends with said "traitor" or their family xD

The daughter might be but the mom certainly isn't.

Even if someone were to insult my child, there is no way in hell I would tell my child the insult. Why would the mom even do that? Oh wait, I know the answer. Because she is stupid enough to mistaken well-rounded for fat. Goodness.

I had to look up well-rounded. "Plump" is but one of the few definitions.

Perhaps the daughter over heard not understanding, "well-rounded". The other woman's daughter told her best friend. That's how I perceived this fml.

Now that I reread I it makes more sense. The mother is beyond immature.

As a non native speaker, I had to look it up. Maybe the mother didn't know either for similar reasons. Also it can actually mean fat.

I acknowledge that it may also mean physically round, but conversationally we do not speak that way (at least I have never heard it that way unless it was a joke). And usually you can tell if something was meant to be an insult from the tone. Since OP intended to compliment the daughter, I am sure the tone was not negative. However my main point was what I first touched on. The mother still should not have said this to the daughter. That bothered me most.

Why would you let your child to be friends with a person you think detests him/her? Yes, that woman failed a vocabulary check, but what she heard was super fishy and rude.

sylvienoir 18

But it wasn't fishy and rude, she was being nice. Assumptions make an ass of u & me :)

Just send your daughter to school with cupcakes to share with her. Fatties love cupcakes. (or explain to your daughter what well rounded means, which ever is easier)

Well... Stupid people who tell that to children deserve to be taught a lesson of what "well-rounded" means

You should probably talk to her mother to clear things out. This misunderstanding shouldn't get in the way of your daughter's friendship. :)

What a selfish mother making her child and yours suffer for her ignorance! I hope she whinges to someone about this story and she gets rightly corrected in her mistake. Would love to see the look on her face then!

I assume, you never made any mistakes in your life.

Never ever tell the truth about a womans body or looks. Always tell her she looks perfect.

I can't see anything going wrong when telling a woman her preschool aged daughter looks perfect. Nothing at all.

Also what's more, OP wasn't even talking about her daughter's looks and body

If she thought you were insulting her kid why didn't she act upset at the time you said it?