By Nebraskawreck - 02/11/2018 20:01

Today, my boss told me I might get fired because I didn't break up a fist fight. I am over 7 months pregnant and both of the people who were fighting are bigger than me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 290
You deserved it 281

Top comments

Unless it's your job to stop fights, I think it's illegal to get fired because of that... Congrats for your pregnancy :) !

Damentia564 3

sounds like they don't want to pay maturnaty leave.

Comments

Unless it's your job to stop fights, I think it's illegal to get fired because of that... Congrats for your pregnancy :) !

Kristen Lawless 10

it depends on what state. I live in Alabama and they can literally fire you for any reason or no reason at all

PenguinPal3017 19

I think they can fire you for no reason, but any reason? "You're fired for having Jewish heritage" doesn't sound legal to me.

cazziuz1983 9

technically they still have to give a reasonable excuse for dismissal even in your home state ,to di other wide opens them to lawsuits and no employer wants that

but surely that is discrimination. are you saying they can legally fire you for being black or female or getting pregnant or not having sex with the boss?

That sounds like bullshit! The most I would do to break up a fight is to holler at them to knock it off or throw cold water at them.

And he might get sued for discrimination.

mehimhere 11

unless your a bouncer... but still no.. they cant fault you for not stepping in when your about to pop as is.

Damentia564 3

sounds like they don't want to pay maturnaty leave.

xxWTFxx1981 23

Anyone that fires a pregnant women is looking at a automatic lawsuit... I think he just wants you gone now rather then having to wait for you to return after giving birth...

avanillachai 3

Worked as a corrections officer... Even at 8 months pregnant, I had to be able to perform the essential functions of my job, including potentially being involved in fights, to maintain my position as an officer. If this was an essential function of your job and you couldn't perform it, thats on you. If not, you might have a case against them.

my job is to make coffee haha :) I think I might

This is ridiculous... Clearly your employer had zero concern for your safety if they saw it was appropriate for a heavily pregnant woman to still be exposed to potential violence. Couldn't they put you behind a desk or something?

KingAdrock 16

Sounds like she works in an office, that's not quite the same as being a POLICE OFFICER.

Kristoffer 35

I don't care if you're 7'6", 500 lbs, and can bench press an F150. You should not be expected to break up a fight unless you're some sort of security guard or peace officer.

I would have told your boss to explain...if he expects you to break up fist fights while you are that pregnant then you should be getting paid at least $50 per hour and be on paid Maternity leave right from the moment you discover you are pregnant