By Indiandisaster - 18/09/2012 00:25 - India - Madras

Today, I’m teaching French in a university in India. One of the students asked me if Paris was the only city in France. FML
I agree, your life sucks 624
You deserved it 69

Top comments

Hit that student over the head with a map or globe. Maybe some kind of osmosis will happen and some knowledge will seep in.

"No such thing as a dumb question" yeah I don't believe that

Comments

Hit that student over the head with a map or globe. Maybe some kind of osmosis will happen and some knowledge will seep in.

"No such thing as a dumb question" yeah I don't believe that

JustStella 28

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not what they meant to say.

That's a pretty silly thing to say, but it sounds like you're not accounting for the lack of advantages/ education many of these kids might have grown up with. And do you know all the cities in India/ China/ Thailand/ any other country on the other side of the world from you?

So kids in India are impoverished and illiterate? In University? I haven't seen this much unintentional racism since Tiger's Curse.

Mathalamus 24

it isnt, but since Paris has 2.2 million people, for the city proper(metro of 12 million), and the second largest, Marseilles, has 850,000 (metro of 1.8 million), yeah, you can make a good case for France only having one real large city. Montreal, in Canada, is the second largest french city in the world, with 1.6 million, and a metro of 4.1 million.

Mathalamus 24

not according to the legal defintions. i haven't heard, anywhere, of a full fledged city of only a few thousand. (defined as 10,000 or less.)

kingdomgirl94 29

I live in a little crappy city while I go to university, 10,000 is not a lot of people. My crappy city has a population of 116,000, more than ten times that, and it's still a dinky little place.

Mathalamus 24

the fact that the quality of life seems to drop, the lower the population is concerning. it should be the same, only on a smaller scale. but then, what do i know?

Depends on whose legal definition- St. David's in Wales has a population of approx. 1,600 and by UK standards is a city (by Royal Charter). The Vatican City has a population of less than 500, also 'legally a city" (and a state!)

Ask him to change courses to geography instead

I'm not surprised. Indians don't know anything about Geography or the world. This is coming from an Indian. We're just really dumb in those aspects.

Okay? He's clearly never been there, and it doesn't seem like his French courses covered geography like a lot of Western language courses do. As someone else said, we tend to be very regionally focused and sometimes forget there's a world outside our window. Hell, I'm well-educated and sometimes forget there is more than just Paris, because more often than not, that's the only city you hear about!

It's more about common sense than education. Have you ever heard about a country that has only one city? And France is not exactly an obscure place.

@ fleur-de-fevrier : Monaco, Luxembourg, Vatican, Andorra

So that's a no, right? I bet there's at least one more! Just an FYI, there tends to be a stereotype in America where aAmericans think some foreigners believe that New York is the capital of the USA. Or, on a somewhat more local basis, that Chicago is the capital of Illinois. Even some people from the USA get the Chicago thing wrong though

hope the student knows a lot more by the time you're done with them all!! have a safe, great time in India!