By Anonymous - 05/12/2018 13:30

Today, I woke up to the fire department at my house. Why? My brother called 911 thinking there was a fire after turning the heat on for the first time all winter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 426
You deserved it 140

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your brother is a moron. I hope the firefighters/your parents lectured him on common sense.

Comments

Your brother is a moron. I hope the firefighters/your parents lectured him on common sense.

If your parents are smart, if he gets an allowance (if he’s underage), they’ll withhold it until further notice. Otherwise, if he’s not, make him pay the fine.

When you start it for the first time for the winter there is dust that burns and that is probably what happened

It could be electric, and he smelled the dust burning off the coils.

Exactly. Better safe, than sorry. Dust burning off smells a lot like an electrical fire.

I feel like I'm missing something important that's different in your area... Why exactly did he think there's a fire from the heater turning warm?

I am guessing it was the first time they turned it on in awhile so he smelt burning dust and got scared

As stupid as it sounds, I could see this happening. Electric, or gas, furnaces naturally collect dust during the downtime of summer. As soon as the heating coils warm up, or the gas burner ignites, it can burn the dust off of the main air passage. The result, as one can imagine, is the 'lovely' smell of scorched dust, which smells remarkably like something burning. If he's not used to forced-air heating, and grew up around radiator-based heat, it's certainly possible that he'd panic at the smell of burning dust.

Let your brother know this is normal and don’t let them say he is an moron. It is the burning of dust. It is completely normal so dont be mad at him.

MedicMurphy8630 3

Fire departments (at least in my area) get called for that pretty frequently at the beginning of winter.