By Anonymous - 30/03/2017 20:00

Today, I finally told the girl I'm in love with how I've felt ever since we first met six years ago. She let me know that not only does she not feel the same way, she's always considered me a creep and only ever hung out with me because of our mutual friends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 578
You deserved it 990

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That must be hard to hear, but use the information well to figure out what kind of attention might have been making her uncomfortable and what signs you missed that she didn't like it. Next time you meet someone you like, it could be the reason it works out better.

Six years is a long time to wait to tell someone you are in love with them. I wouldn't wait this long just because if this situation does happen it would be easier to deal with the rejection.

Comments

That must be hard to hear, but use the information well to figure out what kind of attention might have been making her uncomfortable and what signs you missed that she didn't like it. Next time you meet someone you like, it could be the reason it works out better.

WeirdUS 29

I don't know how old the OP is, but if you are 18 or older why would you wait six years? Try to find out if you can what you did. If you spent a fair amount of time trying to get close to her or try to find ways to hug her that could come across creepy especially if you never said how felt or it just felt forced. Also, probably a good idea to read up on non verbal cues/body language so you know when you are being that guy that can't take a hint.

Six years is a long time to wait to tell someone you are in love with them. I wouldn't wait this long just because if this situation does happen it would be easier to deal with the rejection.

OP - I know that this hurts. You have to go on from here. Do not hold any false hopes she will change her mind - That only creeps her out and wastes your time. It seems to me that it is very rare indeed for "friends" to become real lovers. If you get together as friends do not expect more than that. If you want to find someone who may love you, you have to look for someone who wants that. Dating and hanging with friends are not the same once you are out of Junior High. By the way, most women tend to be creeped out by guys who stare at them or follow them around without making real conversation with them. Everybody likes to talk about themselves, just ask open ended (but non-intrusive) questions like what movies or TV shows they like and follow up with who is their favorite character. The point is to give the other person a chance to talk about what they like and give you the opportunity later to share your thoughts along similar lines. I suggest two things (after you have mourned what was not to be): First, talk to a person you trust who will be honest with you. Ask how you come off as a prospective date to see if there are things you need to improve. You need to stay yourself, just look to see if there is anything that you are doing or saying that might be putting people off of giving a false impression of yourself. Second, center your romantic efforts on those who are looking for a romantic partner. There are various websites such as Match.com and there are other face to face options of meeting potential partners. If you are socially awkward, friends might help by introducing you to someone they think might be a good match - That is how I met the gal who became my first wife long ago. Once you meet a prospective partner, be cool and do not rush the relationship, but not so cool that it takes months or even years to be honest with your feelings.

mariri9206 32

Damn that's cold, but I'm guessing you must have been giving off some sort of obsessive vibe if she feels that way. Time to look back on how you've behaved around her.

It's almost impossible to be secretly in love with someone and not end up looking like a creep after 6 years of keeping your mouth shut. If someone was in love with me for that long, I'd have figured it out without needing to be told. Doesn't say much about her really. Next time speak up, just tell the girl and take your chances. That was you know right away and you can get on with your life and not end up looking like a creep.

Life doesn't work like movies or tv shows.

Is it really love or is it just infatuation? It is never a good idea to wait such a long time to tell someone, because if she said yes it probably would have been very very awkward and not what you expected. Expectations and reality are two TOTALLY different things, so I think you were just in love with the thought of her, and not necessarily her or you would have asked sooner. If you truly felt like she was the one...waiting, and her actions, show that she was not. Good luck OP. Don't settle and cut yourself short next time