By Anonymous - 26/11/2017 05:00

Today, I called my daughter a wimp and insisted her pain can't be that bad. She left in tears. Later, I got a call from her doctor informing me that she has trigeminal neuralgia, one of the most painful diseases known to man. I'm an asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 576
You deserved it 10 453

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Time to apologize. Profusely, and at great length.

PhantomCrevan 8

Why do I get the feeling that the OP will spend a few weeks sucking up to his daughter, then slowly revert back to not believing her when she doesn't get better? Either way, OP is lucky that his daughter wasn't suicidal (or, I would hope not), otherwise he'd likely be short a daughter (which he hopefully isn't) because trigeminal neuralgia has a very high suicide rate, especially in locations with excessively strict regulations on pain medication. Scrape and bow, OP- or do something that says that you believe her, like getting her one of those ice/heat packs that you wear on your head.

Comments

thatslifeiguess7 16

what kinda asshole father are you

Buzz feed did a segment on this with one of their editors who is it trying out medicinal marijuana. You should check it out she said it worked really well.

Why would you trust Buzzfeed in something like that? Buzzfeed has a terrible history of pulling "facts" out of their ass and staging interviews and whatnot. If you want to research on your topic of medicinal cannabis or anything else related, as a trustable source like an actual medical website.

mitolit 12

This is one of the few times where Botox is a proper treatment... maybe help pay for it as part of your apology?

You called your daughter a wimp?! Because she was in pain?! You do this often? questioning your own daughter’s pain and mocking it? Yeah that’s low. Even if she didn’t have a serious painful disease and just a regular headache as her father she just maybe wanted you to validate her pain with a kind word not call her names.

I’m not saying it’s right but my mom always told me I was fine and to quit whining when I would say I was in pain. Fast forward quite a few years until the surgeon who removed my gallbladder told my mom I must have one hell of a pain tolerance (I do!). Now when I say I’m in pain (which is at least fairly rare, I deal with most of it), she actually believes me!

feckarsedrink 9

Soo your daughter is over 50 with a rare disease.. right.. well best of luck YDI

PhantomCrevan 8

... where'd you get the daughter being over 50 years old?

Suaria 38

It says that the disease biggest demographic is women over 50. However that doesn't necessarily mean OP's daughter is over 50.

PhantomCrevan 8

... I question the accuracy of that data than, because out of the sixty something women I've met with it, half were under the age of thirty. Dental work causes it a lot for that age group, though, to my understanding

theemmamarie 5

more like **** your daughter's life. she's the one who has to deal with a disease so painful it's called "the suicide disease" because it has such a high suicide rate.

Michaela R 14

more like **** your daughters life for having such a ******** parent

I've read quite a few articles over the years on how people, doctors included, don't believe when a woman is in pain and assume they're just being "wimps" only to find out they have crazy painful diseases. I hope you and others reading this learn from it.

I also directly thought of those studies. Their results are horrible.

"Asshole" is putting it kindly. Just by the first sentence your child tells you they're in pain and you MOCK them? Colossal bag of moldy douchenozzles doesn't quite fit either. YDI, but she doesn't deserve to be hurting. May you step on a thousand legos on your way to the bathroom at 2am.

Only to find that someone has plastic-wrapped the toilet and put thumbtacks under the bath mat.