By goodbyeGPA - 08/10/2018 17:30

Today, the first day of school, I went to the book store to purchase my textbooks. Not only did I wait for 30 minutes, but they didn’t even have my books in stock. I was advised to visit another campus 45 minutes away. They didn’t have it either. I have assignments due already. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 846
You deserved it 737

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You've been in school one day, and you have assignments, plural, to hand in already? That's insane. Also, why didn't your professor/s give you the list of books you need before you started? I attended an open day two weeks before I started, got all my books the day after, and was ready to go from day one.

whiskey'swino 15

Amazon is a much easier place to purchase textbooks and cheaper too! Campus bookstores are a rip off. I finished Grad school a fe years ago. For those condemning the OP for not buying early- for most schools it is best to wait until the first day to buy books because the reading lists change or certain "required" books are never used in class. I wasted hundreds buying early. I rather wait until the first day to purchase. That said, if the syllabus is available online and you saw the assignments due then yes the books should have been purchased earlier.

Comments

You've been in school one day, and you have assignments, plural, to hand in already? That's insane. Also, why didn't your professor/s give you the list of books you need before you started? I attended an open day two weeks before I started, got all my books the day after, and was ready to go from day one.

Jamie Dirks-Phelps 7

Well it has been nearly 15 years since I started at mine, so I guess a lot has changed.

lisyaorancrazed 16

I read it as OP was assigned assignments on the first day and they are due soon. Maybe that's just me.

Suaria 38

At my college we do have an online bookstore but sometimes professors will tell you that you don't actually have to get the books. So most people wait until the first day of class before ordering textbooks.

While normally I would say ydi for waiting last minute to buy...I know it’s sometimes best to wait to see if you need the book because it may be listed as “required” even though it’s not.

wtfdaemon 3

If you're stupid enough to wait until classes have already started to get your books, you deserve to fail.

Alup132 22

We were recommended at my university by orientation leaders to wait because you don’t always use every book listed and it’s a waste of money to buy a book not needed.

I spent 6 years in university doing my degrees. You often can't go to the book store until classes begin because you have no idea what books you'll need until you get the syllabus from the professor on the first day. Then, everyone runs to the bookstore. What I find more odd is that the college bookstore didn't have a required book in stock at two campuses.

If you have ever attended even one semester of an accredited college or university, you know never to buy a book before class starts. You wait until the first day to ask the professor if the book is necessary. Most of the times, you will know just based on the professor's teaching method.

Depending on where you go, at least for college. The professors don’t always use the textbooks. They might be for a specific department and some professors might or might not use the book.

"orientation leaders" just means students. Students are often lying, stupid assholes. They were trying to sell the old myth taht professors assign books they don't use. You got burned.

Either you are rich or not in college

GreenReaper 13

Not a myth. After 5 years of undergrad (changed schools and majors), 1 year of Master's work, and a year and a half of law school, I can say with 100% certainty that there have been MANY times that a "required" book was either not used or only used once. This is actually very common in colleges, especially those that tend to have a more wealthy student population. Even when the materials ARE required, I have several times been told by a professor on the first day NOT to buy them from the bookstore because there is another source that I would not have found on my own that costs about half as much. And the bookstore won't usually allow returns unless you drop the class. In short, any halfway intelligent student who has any experience with college and isn't a millionaire knows not to buy books until after the first day of class unless you specifically hear from the professor that they will be needed on that first day.

You Dumbass. You waited till the first day of class to get your books. You deserve to fail.

Just torrent them. Ebooks are a thing nowadays, and with textbooks being as blatant a price gouge as they are, it's kind of hard to argue against it.

Most ebooks are the same price as the hard copy. I was very surprised when I found that out. Also, usually the hard copy textbook has a free ebook copy.

julfunky 29

He isn’t saying buy an eBook, he’s saying to torrent it which is free (albeit illegal).

GreenReaper 13

Not all professors allow electronic devices to be used in class.

Suaria 38

That's why people do the readings/skim the readings before class. Unless you want to reference a specific part of what you read, you generally don't need the readings in class.

whiskey'swino 15

Amazon is a much easier place to purchase textbooks and cheaper too! Campus bookstores are a rip off. I finished Grad school a fe years ago. For those condemning the OP for not buying early- for most schools it is best to wait until the first day to buy books because the reading lists change or certain "required" books are never used in class. I wasted hundreds buying early. I rather wait until the first day to purchase. That said, if the syllabus is available online and you saw the assignments due then yes the books should have been purchased earlier.

Library. Most school libraries have all the textbooks, and the good ones only let you check them out for the day, so you have a chance of getting to them. Otherwise, as someone else said, Amazon.

When I went back to school I had a scholarship that covered my books also. One of my classes the bookstore only had three of the books, and never got any more copies. The professor said that it was our responsibility to find a copy of the book. The cheapest I was able to find was $447 out of pocket. This class had 130 student it, and quite a few failed because they were never able to find any copies.

GreenReaper 13

Most bookstores allow you to order the book if they don't have it in stock, and when it comes in it is already your copy.

I am saying that the book the Professor wanted wasn't even available, yet he can still insisted everybody have it.

TomeDr 24

In the OP’s defense, schools often tell students to wait till the first class to see if they profs even require the textbook. Some don’t. I suggest the campus library, at least till you can get your own copy. You might not be able to check their copy out but you can still get your assignment done.

Get the ISBN numbers of the book and enter them in Google. You’ll have boatloads of options.