By Anonymous - 25/09/2018 07:00 - United States - Conroe

Today, I'm recovering from a bad motorcycle crash that could have cost me my life. A truck pulled out in front of me while going 60. Luckily I only have a broken arm and a fractured sternum. I was just notified by my attorney that the guy at fault has no insurance or assets to his name. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 487
You deserved it 232

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not sure where in the US you are, but while the property damage portion you might be a bit SOL on, your PIP and Uninsured Motorist coverage (if you have UIM) should at least cover the medical portion to an extent, and possibly some of the property. Also, was this a commercial vehicle? If so, have your insurance claim rep and attny look into tracking down the company and the police report if you don’t have it already, could go after the company for the portion of the property damage they’re responsible for. Otherwise it’s still possible to pursue them personally for damages (depending on how auto liability laws work in your state, if it’s comparative negligence, pure liability or 50/50), even if not much comes out of it, insurance companies usually have some kind of collection agencies they work with in dealing with uninsured motorists.

Hoeksche 10

The most important is that you are alive.

Comments

Zekfen 17

He has a truck and probably a mobile home worth about how much your atty bills an hour. Probably what your atty means is he has no assets worth taking.

Zekfen 17

I’m honestly curious about the downvotes. Did I piss off a lot of people with trucks with no insurance living in mobile homes?

Hoeksche 10

The most important is that you are alive.

Jorn van der Ar 13

How on Earth could the truck be going 60 while pulling out?

Hoeksche 10

I think OP was going 60 on his motorcycle

The important question here is miles per hour or kilometres per hour

Zekfen 17

He’s in Texas, USA so my guess is mph.

Jorn van der Ar 13

That's what he meant but not what he has written.

DiscomfortZone 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I would rather jump of a bridge with my head down. I'm never giving up my bike

Mathalamus 24

I happen to agree. Motorcycles are just plain unsafe.

how are they unsafe? he got hit. maybe it's people not paying attention to what they're doing that's unsafe.

It would become a lot safer if they would give some proper driving lessons in the US. It's to damn easy in the US to get a license.

ChristianH39 30

Not sure where in the US you are, but while the property damage portion you might be a bit SOL on, your PIP and Uninsured Motorist coverage (if you have UIM) should at least cover the medical portion to an extent, and possibly some of the property. Also, was this a commercial vehicle? If so, have your insurance claim rep and attny look into tracking down the company and the police report if you don’t have it already, could go after the company for the portion of the property damage they’re responsible for. Otherwise it’s still possible to pursue them personally for damages (depending on how auto liability laws work in your state, if it’s comparative negligence, pure liability or 50/50), even if not much comes out of it, insurance companies usually have some kind of collection agencies they work with in dealing with uninsured motorists.

Seconding what this guy wrote. I've been in the insurance business for 15 years. Good advice up there.

The guy has the truck, doesn't he? And if it's a work vehicle, perhaps the company he works for can be held responsible. I'm glad you're okay, save for the two broken bones. I hope you recover quickly.

he has a truck that sounds assetty at the very least go for getting his license revoked to the point where he has to take an L again

No PIP ins for motorcycles and UIM has a cap out of around $10G/rider. At least that’s how it was when a lady hit me head on. Sorry about your luck, OP. I’m glad you didn’t get injured worse.

How does he not have any assets? He has a truck which he could sell (a house is also an asset and so is everything he owns in his house all of which he can sell, house or wherever he lives) if it’s not under his name then whoever does own it would technically be at fault. If it’s a company vehicle, he should have company insurance. If he wasn’t on clock, he shouldn’t have been driving a company vehicle, so he needs to pay out of pocket, same as if it isn’t a company vehicle. No matter what, if he’s working you can get him court ordered to pay you x amount from each payday. If he’s not, well he can still be charged to sell every last thing he has, even his clothes and bed sheets, and do court ordered work until he works off how much he owes you

Zekfen 17

You have to remember lawyer speak. A lawyer wants to get their 1/3, and they want that 1/3 to be enough to cover their time and efforts. He could go it without a lawyer, but unless the assets are significant, it isn’t worth the lawyers time. This is literally what a lawyer told my wife when she was rear ended by a guy.