By Dana - 16/11/2018 15:30

Today, I told my son if he wanted the new internet password he had to clean his room. I then caught him disconnecting my laptop from the internet. Turns out he changed the password months ago and now if I want the new password he wants £50. I ended up paying. I'm actually proud of the sneaky sod. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 590
You deserved it 3 426

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And it never occurred to simply hard-reset the router and reconfigure the wifi because...?

If my kid tried that with me, a quick call to the cable company cutting off the internet would occur, and also a deactivation of the cell phone as well.

Comments

ohsnapword 21

I hope your son can hear me applauding.

And you didn't consider trading one password for the other because...?

Varieus 30

I could be wrong because of how the FML is worded. But it sounds like the new internet password they thought they had wasn't the password due to the son changing it months ago, so they couldn't trade a password for a password due to them not actually having the one they thought they had in the first place.

And it never occurred to simply hard-reset the router and reconfigure the wifi because...?

ViviMage 38

I hear it all the time at the cable company. The kids rule the roost. They decide the channels and if something happens (plan change, channel migration, outages, bill wasn't paid) the kids raise hell. And I've been in the phone with a kid screaming like a possessed banshee because the parents can't get Paw Patrol to work.

If my kid tried that with me, a quick call to the cable company cutting off the internet would occur, and also a deactivation of the cell phone as well.

People say that but we all know they want the Internet for themselves aswell so that’s a shitty plan.

My mom used to threaten that but never did

my mom threatened me with it too...and she actually did it.she said if I was gonna be an asshole then i would be a working asshole who trades one service for another. so a contract was formed that if she were to reinstate internet services I would have to keep up with my chores and fix stuff on the tech side.

I’ve done it. My oldest called the bluff and I called. Had it temporarily disabled and canned his cell line since it was on my plan. When I turned the cable back on, the modem and router was relocated to my bedroom which is locked.

Probably won't do jack, except get OP charged with assault.

ViviMage 38

I work for a cable company. I can walk you through fixing that. And putting a toothpick in the pinhole reset in the back of the router for 10 seconds is cheaper! You can also pause his internet connection, but again, all he needs is a toothpick!

ViviMage 38

What you need is a locked hard acrylic box to put your router in, with holes cut out for the power and the WAN (if it's not an all in one unit) and the antennas on the router, and make sure there is no way to access the reset pinhole! If you use the LAN ports make sure it's not an Ethernet port near the reset. ....and he needs a big paper clip. Either that or you need a lockable cabinet for the router to live in, but if it's in a cabinet that kills some of your WiFi. I got it! A belt. You need a belt!

weaboo 12

Yeah well some of us are too broke to leave a whole room in the house always locked

ViviMage 38

I work for a cable provider, not a house planning committee to build lockable offices or closets in houses. All I am trained in is suggestions. And I know the router is basically "toothpick war" to reset it, change the settings, until the other guy's toothpick is used. The only way to win this is to lock the router in an inaccessible place with a password on its own login so admin/password won't work remotely, and if needed tell the cable company not to reset any passwords over the phone. I also think if you can't pay for a babysitter either don't have children because they are too expensive to care for, or don't bring them to events/dinners out. Eat home or carry out on the nights you can't get a sitter or till they can behave. I can't exactly tell every mom and dad with a screaming brat how to run their life. And the moms with screamers usually are trying to help calm the kids anyway!

Jr90 0

Now you change it, lock up the router and tell him it'll be 100 and cleaning his room.