By Margaret - 26/12/2018 02:00

Today, I saw some random iTunes charge on my bank account so I called who I thought was iTunes customer support to figure out the $5 charge, then got scammed into buying $1,400 worth of gift cards. The man on the phone was not with iTunes and took all my money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 107
You deserved it 5 568

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This makes no sense. You called them, there's no way that you got caught by a scammer. There is something that you're not telling us. Why would disputing a charge cause you to buy $1,400 in gift cards?

How the hell did that happen? There must have been some way of knowing the number you called was the right one. Not only that, but you had to give consent to authorize the transaction for the gift cards, so even before you realized the guy you were speaking to wasn't with iTunes' customer support (which I'm still confused about, as you called them), you gave the information necessary for them to remove $1,400 from your account, which is a lot of money to agree to spend on gift cards, scam or not.

Comments

And a fool and his money are parted. 1. Don't link iTunes to your bank account 2. Confirm it actually happened in iTunes and isn't a phishing email pretending to be your bank 3. Change your iTunes password ASAP 4. No one from Apple will sell you iTunes gift cards over the phone (and what are you doing buying gift cards if your bank is already attached to iTunes?) 5. Maybe mummy and or daddy need to handle your finances for a while

fde2blknimout 18

Was he a nigerian prince? And what rock are you living under?

fde2blknimout 18

I red that and cAn tell u are a wonderfull woman! Id like to by u a new howse and take care of u forevr be cuz i luv u. Problum iz I need 2500 dollerz to git mi past port bak.

ohsnapword 21

I see things like this all the time. A scammer will place an ad on Google with a fake tech support number and some keywords. The goal is to have their ad pop up when someone Googles "apple tech support" and the unsuspecting victim calls the number. The part where the agent asks for gift cards should be a red flag. No legitimate business will ever ask for payment in the form of gift cards.

What How Dont forget to send money to the Ugandan Prince too

This happened to a friend of mine. If you google the customer service number the top result is actually a scammer that paid to be the top result. It's not really itunes or apple or whoever you think youre calling. What they did to my friend when she called to check on the status of her computer repair, was claim the repair would be more expensive, then throw her off guard with news that her cloud had been hacked and her pictures were found on **** sites. Each new problem cost a little more and they insisted she couldn't pay with a credit card because they can't accept them over the phone. And she couldn't go into an apple store because they weren't the ones who had her computer in front of them. They covinced her to buy itunes gift cards to pay because you cannot refute the charges once they are accessed. Once they got $400 out of her they made more crap up and threatened to cancle her phone service and itunes account unless she paid $1000 more for whatever nonsense they claimed they had to fix. Our coworker called the same number with a fake name claiming he sent in an iphone for a screen repair and they gave him the same story of hacked accounts and threats to terminate service. That is how we discovered she never called the real customer service line in the first place. Moral of the story, do not google customer service numbers, get them from the verified website.

How did you not see this coming? I just... I can't even...